Thursday, January 28, 2010

Welcome Back Sandy Alomar, Jr.


Though I am a person who admittedly gets star struck on occasion.

My schedule rarely allows me to come in early or late or on the weekends to see an in-studio guest, even if they are one of my idols.


By chance, I found out that 'The' Sandy Alomar, Jr. was going to be in studio taping a show for STO with Matt Underwood. Always cautious and never wanting to make a fool of myself, I asked the sports producer if it would be ok to come in and observe the taping.

He said no problem.

As many of you know if you follow this blog, I am a huge fan of Cleveland, baseball and my Cleveland Indians.

I have a special place in my heart for Sandy for a number of reasons. Aside from the fact that he was an awesome player and will surely make an incredible coach. He was/is my oldest niece's favorite Indian....we've seen him many times on the road as we traveled from city to city following the Tribe visiting various ballparks.

A very memorable moment happened in KC. The family was there. We saw him in the lobby of our hotel and I took the girls up to talk to him. He remember my oldest niece...asked my youngest niece who her favorite player was and then just rolled his eyes at me and laughed as he saw that I was wearing a Herbert Perry t-shirt.

He was just as gracious to speak with me today. I think when he saw me speak to Matt Underwood, who I worked with a million years ago, he knew I was not too scary of a groupie! I told him that he has THE biggest angel up in Heaven rooting for his team and his personal success and he should feel free to call on Mom whenever he needs her! I also gave him a few articles I had written on him last year.

Hopefully he will read them, enjoy them, and take my advice to call on Mom whenever the boys need some guidance, good luck, and divine intervention!

No comments: