Thursday, May 6, 2010

Weekly Feature: Hidden Gems



This week's Hidden Gem: Daffodil Hill


I would never have believed it had I not seen it with my own two eyes.


I thought I had died and gone to Heaven it was so beautiful.


Believe it or not, my Aunt, Sister, and I had just come from my Uncle's funeral when my Sister said we should cruise by 'Daffodil Hill' at Lakeview Cemetery. It was that perfect time of the year.


I did not know how well that would go over with my Aunt, but once we saw the whole hillside, it was the right choice and well worth it.


I am in awe of Lakeview Cemetery and have always been. I get weird looks when I speak of taking so-called 'field trips' to the cemetery periodically but that's ok. I even went on a date there--and it was delightful.


It's been around since 1869. Going to Hiram College, I have a warm place in my heart for James A. Garfield, who is buried at Lakeview Cemetery, among others such as Eliot Ness, Rockefeller, and Ray Chapman--the Cleveland Indian shortstop killed after being hit in the head with a baseball during a Yankee-Indian game back in 1920.


Lakeview Cemetery as a whole can be, and one day will be another one of my Hidden Gems, but today I am focusing on 'Daffodil Hill.'


When you enter the cemetery, they have signs pointing out the flower tour. You follow the arrows and after seeing the beautiful horticulture throughout, come upon the most amazing hillside covered with thousands of yellow daffodils.


I've heard this hill has been blossoming since the 1940's.


I could not believe my eyes. It was intoxicating and unbelievable.


I am so glad I got the chance to experience this phenomenon with my own eyes this year.


Seeing it once, this will be a yearly pilgrimage for me each and every spring.


Please, if you have not made your way through Lakeview Cemetery, it's quite the exquisite adventure. But, I hope you definitely take time to drive through next spring and take a gander at 'Daffodil Hill.' Then, you too, will see why it is this week's Hidden Gem!

No comments: