Friday, March 12, 2010

Weekly Feature: Hidden Gems

Today's Hidden Gem: 'Aunts are unique and special people'

I'm going to do a little self-promoting and cross-promotion today.

I've spoken before about Cleveland momslikeme.com (where Cleveland moms meet), which is connected to wkyc and wkyc.com.

A wonderful woman, Jacquie Chakirelis, works harder than any woman I know running the momslikeme.com website.

She's done some amazing things with the website expanding the audience and group of followers since its inception.

When the website first kicked off, I became a member, even though I was not a mother. I enjoy writing and am always looking for great story ideas. What better place than one of our own websites, right in our own backyard!

Well, just recently I've been able to dedicate a little more time to momslikeme.com, even though I am still not a mother.

I started a group for Aunts--hence the group title, 'Aunts are unique and special people.'

I believe that anyone can participate in this website. But more importantly, I truly believe that Aunts, if they are actively involved with their nieces and nephews, know just as much about parenting as parents do.

Aunts have special bonds with their nieces or nephews. I know all of my Aunts hold or held an exceptional place in my heart and will forever.

Not only do some terrific story ideas come from the mommy website, but what a great tool to promote many of the stories airing on Channel 3 News.

Just a few weeks ago, during the 11pm news, we aired a story about a New York Chef who made cheese out of his wife's breast milk.

A perfect opportunity to tease the story! Before it aired, I started a discussion on momslikeme.com asking what mothers thought about this cuisine and if they would ever try cheese made out of breast milk.

Terrific circumstance for a discussion.

The same thing happened a few days prior when a child walked into a Medina school with a gun. I started an open discussion on momslikeme.com on the topic of kids and guns and how this is a growing problem and asked the question HOW can we stop this tragic occurrence.


There are numerous topics on the momslikeme.com website from families to entertainment to education, fitness, grief, and anything you can imagine under the sun.


If you have not already visited the website, please do, and while you are there make a special trip to the group 'Aunts are unique and special people' and then you will see why I am so proud to make it this week's Hidden Gem!

No comments: