Friday, May 29, 2009

Weekly Feature: Hidden Gems


Today's Hidden Gem: Indians sweep Tampa Bay Rays


Ok, I am using today's Hidden Gem as a personal tribute to my Tribe! I know we also have another team in town who is holding their own. We'll get to them at a later date!

I'd like us all to bask in the warmth of the Cleveland Indians sweeping the ALCS Champion Tampa Bay Rays in a 4-game series. I knew they could do it.


You are only as good as your last game (or your last newscast) and we have the New York Yankees blowing into town for yet another 4-game series.

Honestly, I thought they would do it 2 weekends ago.

I was on furlough a few weeks ago and decided to hop on a flight to see my best friend for a few days. True, the magnetic force really pulling me toward Tampa was the fact that the Indians were playing the Rays. Sorry buddy! The Indians blew the Rays away in game #1 back on May 14 and then they imploded.

They were in every game, got a number of awful calls by the umpires (2 of which MLB and the Umpiring crew came out and said they made the WRONG calls) but could not close the deal.

I saw the fire in their eyes. There was bad blood brewing between this new rivalry. I knew they'd both come out fighting when back in Cleveland. And they proved me right.

What is so great about this most recent 4-game sweep is two-fold. The Indians came back from a 10-0 deficit on May 25. They also came back from a 5-0 deficit on May 27. Plus, the Cleveland Indians did the VERY SAME act one year ago. Back on July 10-13, 2008 our Cleveland Indians swept the Tampa Bay Rays in another 4-game series.


I, being very superstitious, take some credit for that sweep. I went to the Cleveland Metropark Zoo and touched the Sting Rays at their cool exhibit. I tried touching every ray and wished the Tribe would beat the Rays. Well they did.


I guess it just works for the home team.

When I was in Tampa a few weeks ago, I did the same. I touched the rays in their petting pool and whamo, the Rays beat us.


Now I know.


I don't mean to seem like I am taking this entry lightly or fawning too much over my Indians. But, I am. Life is too short, and in today's times, life happenings can be so horrendous/serious/and oftentimes grisly.


We all have to learn to enjoy the little things in life. Savor every sweet moment. Try to make a new memory every single day.

2 weeks ago when I was in Tampa, I saw the Indians lose. Tropicana Field is definitely NO Progressive Field. If you travel as much as we do to other ballparks, you will learn that we are blessed and lucky here in Cleveland with Progressive Field, The Q, and Cleveland Browns Stadium. So many others (not all, I LOVE Fenway) are dumpy and plain.



But even though the Tribe lost a few weeks ago, those 48 hours were tremendous. I was with my dearest friend in 92 degree temps, watching MY Tribe (win or lose), savoring every special moment, making new memories, seeing the positive in every instance.


We can learn a lot from our sports gurus and their cliches:
  • play every game as if it's your last
  • play hard
  • win or go home
  • play in the moment
  • stay focused
  • focus on today
  • every at bat counts
  • run hard, run it out
  • press on
  • never give up
  • total team effort
  • battle out there, battle back
  • you got to be ready to hit the curve



We have to learn to grab life by the horns and ride it 'til you fall off! And then, heck, get right back up there and press forward and onward!


Bring on the Yankees!


Go Tribe! (Go Cavs!)

1 comment:

Louise said...

Tampa Bay Rays should be always competitive enough to keep pace with the others. I really like them; they’ve always been my favourite teams in MLB. Just read about them here:
http://www.devilrayshome.com