Friday, January 22, 2010

Big week for helping those in need

This week proved to be a crucial week for helping those in need.

WKYC took part in the Ohio Benefit Bank.

There are so many people who may be eligible for help of some kind--regarding Medicare or other medical concerns...with utilities or hundreds of other options but they just do not know it.

WKYC and a number of local organizations offered a phone bank staffed with experts to answer questions from the public.

The response was tremendous. Many people were helped and given beneficial information to assist their needs.

There were a number of people who could not get through because the response was overwhelming.

The overflow calls reached the news assignment desk. I kept offering the numbers for the phone bank and then the number the Ohio Benefit Bank could be reached at after the phone bank closed.

I must share with you. Toward the final minutes of the phone bank, an elderly lady called the news desk dozens of times. She'd attempt to call the phone bank and then when she could not get through called me. Well, all I could do was pleasantly tell her to keep trying and give her the alternative number to reach the Ohio Benefit Bank at a later time.

I swear. I was laughing my butt off. I understand this lady needed help. But she must not know you get more bees with honey....I apologized to her for not being able to get through and gave her the numbers again. After I gave her the numbers and told her to keep trying she said to me, "You make me sick! You disgust me. I hate you all! You all are evil!" And hung up.

I'm sorry for her frustration but that won't get her through to the phone bank.


And then a wonderful joint effort by all networks, cable stations and many radio stations to simulcast the Hope for Haiti telethon which George Clooney pulled together. What a wonderful production. Entertainers, singers, actors, sports people manned this phone bank and spoke to their fans thanking them for any size donation for the Haiti victims. Musicians performed giving the audience a bit of entertainment. I believe the proceeds from the compilation CD will also go to Haiti.

No matter how people are hurting and struggling, there are many giving human beings who open their purse strings to help those so much more less fortunate.

No comments: