Thursday, November 6, 2008

Weekly Feature: Hidden Gems


Today's Hidden Gem: Ohio's Changing Seasons

Sometimes we take the changing seasons for granted. Other times we groan when our less-liked season approaches.

It is November 6, 2008 and still in the 70's. Sitting on my porch draped in the sun's grasp, the sweat beads begin forming on my brow. Then driving around from neighborhood to neighborhood, the trees a true sign of the greatness of a higher being and Mother Nature's grasp.



Each tree, clutching the one just beside it, forms a perfect rainbow of all the colors in the spectrum. Each tree, each leave --a different shade and color. No two alike.


I've said this before and I'll say it again (even in January and February)--I'd rather live in a city with the changing seasons than a city with no seasons at all!

I have family down in Florida. My best friend currently lives in Tampa, Florida. I will never get over the concept and the visuals of being in Florida in December wearing shorts and flip flops, surrounded by decorated palm trees and Santa Claus in his bathing suit! I may need a therapy session to get the vision of Santa in his skivee's out of my head. The seasons divide the year into four sections, based on the periodic weather changes.

We are currently experiencing Autumn (yet more like Indian Summer). Autumn skates into Winter, which catapults into Spring and then Summer.


Each season has its own beauty, its own character, and depending on what exact time of the season, each is 'my favorite!'


This particular time when the trees still have all their leaves and their amazing array of colors is my favorite Autumnal moment.




Then we experience those 'snow globe' memories when the snow flakes (no two are alike) coat the earth with a fine covering making you think you are a scene from 'It's a Wonderful Life' or 'White Christmas.'



Mom had a great point about Spring the other day. The cold weather is getting to her but she still loves the changing seasons. I asked her if Spring is her favorite? She said actually no. During the beginning of Spring, the earth is still dead, the grass is brown and flowers have not yet awaken. Towards the end of Spring is when this season really comes to life.


And then Summer, for me, is great! At times, Cleveland can get way too hot and humid. But I exude that 'tropical' feel!


Yes, we truly are lucky to be able to experience all four seasons through the course of each year.


Hopefully, you can find a glimmer during each season and learn to enjoy and celebrate what we have right in our own backyards!!


As we slide from season to season, I hope you too, will see why I've chosen Ohio's Changing Seasons as this week's Hidden Gem!


No comments: