Saturday, May 15, 2010

Weekly Feature: Hidden Gems



This week's Hidden Gem: Archie's Lakeshore Bakery/Archie's Hough Bakeries


MMMMM, good!


For those of you who are old enough to remember Hough Bakery, Archie's will conjure up such sweet memories of childhood days and happy celebrations.


For those of you who are not, a new experience to tantalize your taste buds.

The other day it was as if I got a tall glass of cold water thrown in my face as we started talking about old Hough Bakery memories and one of our interns had never heard of Hough. Made me realize how truly old I am but then quickly got over that as I handed him an Archie's cupcake and proceeded to watch his reaction.

Favorable. Quite favorable.

Archie's has been around for a while but I guess I never quite believed that anything could be as good as 'THE' Hough Bakery.

I was wrong!

After Hough Bakery closed back in 1992 --seems so long ago--baker Archie Garner embarked on a new venture opening Archie's Lakeshore Bakery.

He sells amazing cakes, cupcakes, coconut bars, and the 'oh so famous' and 'hard to find' petit fours.


Have not been able to find the petit fours ever since Hough closed. We'd always get them at Christmas and Easter. Have searched high and low and though some establishments have tried to replicate, no one has.


I ordered a Hough Bakery cake for my sister's birthday --it was perfect! White cake with white frosting and a whole slew of light pink flowers.


The very cake we'd get for EVERY occasion: birthdays, 1st communion, confirmation, anniversaries, retirement, welcome home, new baby--you name it, we'd think of an excuse to have a Hough Bakery cake.


Picking up the cake an adventure in itself. You don't even walk inside and smell the delectable aroma...and once inside, totally surrounded by the distinctive scent.

The phone never stopped ringing with orders as the steady stream of 'picker uppers' entered the small bakery.

I had time so I let the baker working the front vestibule take his phone orders first so as not to lose any customers. Finally, got the goods and was extremely happy!


When I walked in with the cake in the famous Hough box, everyone swarmed around me. My nephew, who hardly eats and tries to stay way from sweets, not only had a piece of cake on the spot but took a big chunk home!


Fantastic how a sweet tradition can conjure up so many wonderful memories, bring a group of people together, and cause the entire room to smile!


If you are on Facebook, become a fan of Archie's Lakeshore Bakery.



If you have heavenly memories of Hough Bakery, or have never heard of it, I suggest you visit Archie's on Lakeshore, and you too, will become a fan for life and see why Archie's Lakeshore Bakery is this week's Hidden Gem!!!

1 comment:

Mike Golch said...

I guess I'll have to talk the better half into trucking over that away.