Friday, January 30, 2009

Weekly Feature: Hidden Gems


Today's Hidden Gem: Dick Feagler

On occasion I'll deem a real live person one of my Hidden Gems.

It's rare. They must be exemplary subjects standing alone up on their pedestal.

Right off the bat, I can see Feagler scrutinizing my words in disbelief with that half-cocked grin on his face.

He never thought of himself, at least while I worked with him, as anything but common.

But those who know him think otherwise.

At least, I do, and this is my column so I will give you my spin.

Dick Feagler wrote his last regular column for the Plain Dealer 3 weeks ago. If you read between the lines, they phrased it 'last regular column' which leads me to believe that IF there is a hot button topic or they really need a seasoned veteran to tackle a serious issue, they've left the door open to call on Uncle Dick!


That phrase gives me a slight glimmer of hope that many out there still realize Feagler's command of his craft--being an exquisite wordsmith.


I spoke briefly with Dick a few weeks ago and, over the phone, could tell he is the same wonderful man I worked with years ago. His memory, attentiveness, and sheer honestly shine through, not to mention his wonderful wit!


I've been extremely lucky or blessed, whatever you'd like to call it, in my career thus far. Instead of learning about the 'broadcasting' business solely out of a book and getting a small sample through the obligatory newsroom internship (which I had as well), I had true-to-life role models who taught me everything I know.

I worked side by side with the likes of Dorothy Fuldheim, Ted Henry, Fred Griffith, Nev Chandler, Don Webster, Gib Shanley, Wilma Smith, Leon Bibb, Jenny Crimm, Lou Maglio, Judd Hambrick, Connie Dieken....my contemporaries of Jim Donovan, Tim White, Romona Robinson....and so many spectacular others too numerous to mention. Oftentimes, the people behind the scenes were just as invaluable to my growth as the on-air personalities. The experience I ascertained from directors and producers through the years is priceless. I've worked with the best including Bill 'Dad' Wiedenmann, Don Mertens, Jane Temple, Terry Moir, Kathy Williams, Dick Moore.....and again, this list twists and turns forever.


But, let's get back to the man of the hour, Mr. Dick Feagler.


I was awestruck the first time I met Mr. Feagler. I'd been a huge fan and realized his great talent. It's always awkward at first to work in the trenches with someone you idolize, at least for me!

However, that first day I realized that Feagler was 'real people.' He said it like it was, just as in his columns. He was welcoming, pleasant, helpful and a real stitch. I absolutely adored when he would vault into one of his stories--all true--autobiographical, and that's what made them so entertaining.

He was not too keen on playing the co-anchor role, however, I think he handled himself very well in that position. Part of the challenge is understanding and dissecting the news for the viewer, and he flawlessly and effortlessly accomplished that task.


Feagler embodies true journalism, integrity, and the heart and soul of the newspaper and television business, which whether we want to believe it or not, is gone forever.


Just because 'it' is gone does not mean individuals can not still vie for those high standards. Feagler, as long as he continues in this business in some way shape or form, will keep the hope alive. I'd like to believe that I, too, with my experience and history will continue keeping the dream alive!


Feagler began 45 years ago and never looked back. He forged ahead day by day just doing his job, yet making history every step of the way. He has seen the bulk of Cleveland's greatest political headlines involving Carl and Louis Stokes, Ralph Perk, Dennis Kucinich, and Michael White.... to the serious and often embarrassing issues surrounding the Cleveland Public Schools-which reared Feagler himself being a graduate of John Adams. He has gone up and down the scale talking religion, sex, teen pregnancy, any and every topic under the sun. There was never a storyline he was afraid to tackle.


Feagler said to me, 'it was time.' I guess I am not tearing up too much because I know Feagler. He still has many stories to tell, articles to write, numerous young minds to mold and influence. We can tune in to WVIZ and hear him touch on pertinent hot topics. He's not gone. We may have to look a little harder to find him, but he is definitely NOT gone.


For those of you familiar with Feagler, you know why I chose him as this week's Hidden Gem.


For those of you living under a rock not being familiar with or having the pleasure of ever reading one of his columns or books, pick up just one of his articles and then, you too, will see why Dick Feagler is this week's Hidden Gem!!

No comments: