Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Weekly Feature: Hidden Gems



Today's Hidden Gem: Gray House Pies


I must admit, I usually choose my Hidden Gems from personal trips I've taken, events I've attended, and exploring I've done on my own discovering the "Hidden Gems" all around Northeast Ohio which have inspired me or impacted my life.


I'll be honest.


I stole this week's Hidden Gem from a story we aired on wkyc and wkyc.com.


Now, I didn't just rip it off without investigating and doing my own leg-work, talking to the owner, and tasting the pies myself. But, I did get the initial vision the minute I put a bite of the pie into my mouth.


Jeff Maynor headed out to Gray House Pies for a 'What Works' segment and opened all of our eyes to the essence of a delicious, natural pie.


I dialed up Gray House Pies and said, "I'll take an Apple Crumb, a Cherry, a Chocolate Malt, and a Bananas Foster.



While I was there getting the lowdown from owner Joe Schlott, he filled me in on his transition from the Mortgage Business to Pie-Making! He's an inspiration and a perfect example of grabbing the reins and making your dreams come true!


Not only does he whip up the most delectable pies, but when you are browsing in his store, you can treat yourself to coffee, purchase a single serving of your favorite pie or quiche, or take home a full quiche as well --goat cheese and caramelized onion, goat cheese and apple, ham and cheese, cheesey potato, or cheddar and apple.


But wait, there is more. He sells his 'slice of heaven' to wholesalers who may own their own store, coffee shop, or restaurant.


Schlott uses all natural ingredients in his pies and his quiche. No transfats, no preservatives, often times organic and Ohio home grown. When it comes to the quiche elements, only the best --cheeses, fruits, vegies, local eggs and milk.


Schlott began selling his home made pies on the front porch of his gray house. And, that my friends, is how an idea is born, and spins into a very lucrative business.


Now, keep your eyes peeled when traveling on Lorain because Gray House Pies is very unassuming in the midst of a strip mall at 22560 Lorain Road in Fairview Park.


It's worth the trip from wherever you live.


You don't have to wait for the next holiday, treat yourself. Take a spin over to Gray House Pies and, you too, will see why they are this week's Hidden Gem!!




2 comments:

Joe the Pie Man said...

Thank you so much for your kind words! To receive a 2$ coupon off any full sized pie, just go to www.grayhousepies.com and sign up for our newsletter. We will never share or sell your address, but we will send you info on great specials!

Also, if you want to order pies for the holidays, our deadline is TOMORROW, 12/18! We are a small shop, and we are about to hit our baking capacity!

Joe the Pie Man said...

Gray House Pies is expanding. We are opening a new store in Westlake on Detroit Rd. Projected opening date is March 1st. Would love to tell you more about it. Check out our website for more details. www.grayhousepies.com