Thursday, January 7, 2010

4 live shots and counting...


A great news day --oh heck, news, sports, and weather!


I knew it would be good knowing that the 'Holmgren-Mangini' meeting was still in progress and because I have been getting text alerts on my cell phone from wkyc.com weather regarding the snow events for the rest of the week.


You too can get text alerts from wkyc on anything you want --weather, sports, breaking news, just about everything. All you have to do is log onto wkyc.com and hit the section slugged 'text alerts.' Then follow the directions to sign up and voila, you are well connected!!!!


So I've been getting continuous weather updates...and if I had not been sitting on the news assignment desk when it happened, I would have known instantaneously that Mangini was coming back in 2010 because I received an alert on this breaking sports as well!



Today was tricky but it all worked out.



We had 4 live shots. Now, that's not really a lot but everything had to be coordinated. It's my job to think of everything and make sure this goes off without a hitch. I won't go into the tedious detail but part of my job is making sure the crews are sent out with trucks which are compatible for what they have to do. For instance, a crew heading further out should take the truck with the tallest mast.


I also have to be cognizant of the schedule. If a crew is off at 530pm, then I have to make sure he is replaced, which was one of my constrictions today.


And I have to check with our editing department to see if and how many crews they may need to use to edit reporter packages.


It really is rare when anyone is just sitting around doing absolutely nothing!



In the end it all worked out. We had:

Rem 1 --Paul Thomas and Chris Kunz LIVE at Pershing for weather

Rem 2 --Dave Chudowsky and Dan Medsker LIVE at Berea Browns Camp

Rem 3 --Chris Tye and Mark Smilor LIVE in Willoughby for weather

Rem 4 --Mike O'Mara and Brian Johnson LIVE in Brook Park for Mangini reaction




The snow continues......Josh Cribbs is still disgruntled.....and I'm daydreaming about how many live shots we may have Friday!?!?!?

No comments: