Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Decisions, Decisions

It's that time of year when I like handing in the bulk of my vacation requests.

Though we are not required to have them in until the end of March, I usually have most of them in by now.

Last year was one of the most atypical years regarding days off, vacation, and time away from the news desk.

Though I had more time off last year than ever before, unfortunately, the bulk of it was for tragic reasons.

I used up all of my 2009 vacation, all of my sick days, had a furlough week, and then used my allotted funeral leave days.

I never use all of my sick days. I hate taking sick time.

If it were up to me, I could have done without using my sick days or having to enact my funeral leave, but some things are out of our control.


So this year, after having so much time to 'manipulate' last year, it's been quite the complex puzzle trying to whittle it down.


I rarely take time off and do nothing. OK, let me rephrase, I never take time off and do absolutely nothing.


When I request time off, it's because I have plans--I'm taking a trip, I have a special event, a family function, a wedding, a reunion, am singing all of the holiday Masses, my 'boys' have made it to the Playoffs and/or World Series, or we are hosting folks from out of town....there is 'something' happening which triggers the vacation request.


Trying to look into the future, my magical crystal ball, and plan out the next 365 days is next to impossible this year.


Especially after last year.


Last year, Mom and I began our conversations about which trips we wanted to take in 2010--Kentucky Derby, Indians' baseball, maybe Chautauqua again and of course, hitting Progressive Field as much as we could --especially in OCTOBER!!!! These talks and plans are in complete disarray now.


I already lived by this philosophy, but with Mom's passing, it became more vivid--live for today. I really have a hard time planning ahead now knowing that tomorrow may never come.


I even wrote an article back on September 29, 2009 slugged "Will she see it come to fruition?" Unfortunately, she didn't.


So, it's been a struggle trying to map out the next 12 months, narrowing down the precious few necessary days to maximize quality time spent with family & friends, as well as the respite needed for rejuvenating ME....not having a clue what 'emergencies' or 'unplanned events' may pop up in 2010 tossing all of my best laid plans into yet another upheaval.

No comments: