Thursday, April 10, 2008

New Weekly Feature: Hidden Gems

A new weekly feature beginning today is an idea I’ve been courting for years! A project near and dear to my heart which never materialized until now because I was missing the appropriate venue. What a better vessel than my personal work blog!

Being a true Cleveland girl, I just love Northeast Ohio. Don’t get me wrong. I love traveling and have some pretty amazing cities already on my passport with many more hopefully ahead of me! But you can have the New York’s and the LA’s. Just give me Cleveland, Ohio. I’m amazed at the ignorance of some travelers I run into who have never been to Cleveland but have something negative to say about it. I challenge them to make the trek and promise they won’t be disappointed!

In 'Hidden Gems' I will showcase a different 'gem' each week. I characterize 'gem' as being a place, location, or event in Northeast Ohio which contributes to the eclectic yet traditional ambiance of this city. It may be well-known or it may be something that only neighborhood folks cherish. Obviously many of my 'hidden gems' have touched me personally in some way. However, I’d love to hear from my readers with other 'hidden gems' around town! Sit back, relax, and enjoy the scenic tour around Northeast Ohio!
My first 'Hidden Gem' is near and dear to my heart, OUR LADY OF PEACE CATHOLIC CHURCH.

I have lived in this Parish my entire life. We attended grade school here. My Mother was the Parish secretary for many years. I'm a Cantor and Choir Member. Regardless of my tie, I truly believe it is the prettiest church in town! I am honored to call our Pastor, Father Gary, friend. He's one heck of a guy. A great priest. When disgruntled Catholics leave the church or have negative things to say, I wish they would attend a Father Gary Mass & all that would change! It all began a long time ago when Father James Cummins, just back from serving in World War I, was asked to start a new parish. After being on the front line and seeing some awful happenings, he dedicated this parish to Mary, Our Lady of Peace, back on September 11, 1919.

The very first Mass was celebrated in the billiard room of the old Luna Park at East 110th and Woodland Avenue. Worshippers used park benches as makeshift pews.

The temporary church frame was up in time for Easter, 1920. In May of 1923, the "new" church was ready for use.

Our current church at the corner of East 126th and Shaker Blvd was begun in 1949 and finished in 1951. It truly is breath taking! When you enter and get a glimpse of the stained glass, the thousands of hand painted tiles, the sculptures, the marble, and every little nuance, you are blown away.

The old church was re-named "Cummins Hall" in honor of our first Pastor who organized our parish in the first place. It is the hall attached to Our Lady of Peace Elementary School.

Our Lady of Peace School gives the neighborhood kids a faith-filled education, regardless of their religion, and prepares them for life. Most, if not all of our kids, go onto top ranking high schools and college. They become pillars in the community. We are proud to say it all begins in grade K! The school kids take it upon themselves to help local and national causes as well. The kids have raised lots of money for fellow Catholic Churches needing assistance in Central America and around the world as well as local charities right back here in the Cleveland area.
UPCOMING EVENT:
This Sunday, April 13th, OLP is holding their annual Run For Peace. This event raises money which will be used for scholarships for Our Lady of Peace Elementary School students. Put on your running OR walking shoes, and join us at the corner of East 126th and Buckingham Avenue Sunday morning for a good cause! The race begins at 9am. It goes about three miles to Benedictine High School and back. Refreshments will be served in the school gym after the run. Hope to see you there! Any questions, feel free to call the Church Rectory at 216.421.4211.

This 'Hidden Gem' is one special piece of Cleveland's history. Hopefully you have enjoyed this first hand look and will make a special visit yourself one day!

No comments: