Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Traficant released from jail


There are stories that seem to last a lifetime.


John Demjanjuk is one of those such stories, and the saga continues....


Former Congressman James Traficant is another one of those stories that spans my lifetime as well as my entire broadcasting career.


Unfortunately, the James Traficant story reminds me of how old I am!


I actually know who Jim Traficant is....and so many people around me today don't. They've never heard of him.


I've been covering Former Congressman Traficant for over two decades including his federal bribery conviction and being hauled off to prison 7 years ago.


68-year-old Traficant was released from a Minnesota prison this morning where he hopped into a cab and made the trek home to the Youngstown area.


Whether you loved or hated him, you have to admit, he spoke his mind, was never dull, really was very good tv, and the talk of the town --even if they were speaking of his hair and clothes.


He still has his supporters who are holding a welcome home dinner this weekend and who have made up numerous signs, buttons, hats and t-shirts which say "Welcome home Jimbo."



So many stories happen and are over within hours or a few days.


Then you have these stories which last a lifetime...

No comments: