Thursday, September 3, 2009

My extended family


Since we spend anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of our week at work, it's very easy to see why the workplace and those we work with become our 'extended family.'


I'm sure there are some business situations which are 'all business' and do not allow co-workers to mix or become close.


You begin at 9am and leave at 5pm. You stay to yourself and just do your job.


I could never do that.


I really get into what I do.


I'm told I do it well, am one of the best.


No man is an island.


A great product comes from tremendous 'team work.'


Team work leads to friendship, camaraderie, and oftentimes, a closeness never anticipated.


My boss's father just passed away.


Today was the wake.


I went before my shift began, and unfortunately, could not stay very long being on my way to work. I wanted to attend the wake because I could not attend the funeral due to a family medical obligation.


But, as I entered the funeral home, it hit me how my co-workers ARE family.


I actually see my co-workers MORE than I see numerous blood relatives.


My co-workers see me at my best when I arrive, and then at my worst (physically) as I walk out the door with my hair up in a clip and no make-up left.


As I inched my way up the receiving line, I caught a glimpse of my boss's children.


The look her son gave me melted my heart.


He knew who I was, and with no words gave me the comforting look that he was glad to see me.


You see, when Rita's children would visit the station, I'd chat with her son and how he was doing in school, and all of his projects. Both of her children are very smart and very nice kids. But, it seemed her son, as a youngster, was drawn to the noise and hustle and bustle of the loud, crazy assignment desk. I'd love to chat with him. He was an adult in a child's body with the brilliant conversation we shared.


Rita's daughter and I are Facebook friends.


It's an amazing thread that ties all of us together.


I never knew Rita's dad, but just by knowing her and her family and all she had been through, my heart ached.


I truly believe you can never have too many 'true' friends and family members.


I am blessed to have an amazing extended family who help me make it not only through the work day but through life.

No comments: