Thursday, September 24, 2009

Downside of the news

Working on the news assignment desk is an amazing feat and a fascinating daily occurrence.

As I was reading the morning paper, the Plain Dealer, which is a daily ritual, a downside of working in news was staring back at me.

I know that you can whiz through hundreds if not thousands of newspapers online but I still like to take a gander through the paper in the morning as I eat my breakfast and prepare for my usually hectic day ahead.

I always look at the obituaries. Some would say it's the Italian in me? Whatever it may be, I'm looking through the obituaries and there are a number of people I know or am familiar with listed.

A former priest at my parish.....the relative of a PR guru.....the relative of a co-worker.....and then two recent cases we've covered extensively.

Daniel Kondas, the mailman who was killed during his delivery route, and 15-year-old Daniel Murphy, the St. Ignatius boy killed in a freak ATV accident.

Covering a story extensively such as the two listed above, you do get involved and intertwined with the victims. You may not know them personally, but after extensive research, and possibly speaking to family and friends, it's really like you knew them your whole life.

I have to say, this is one of the downsides of working in the news business and on the news assignment desk.

No comments: