Thursday, November 20, 2008

Weekly Feature: Hidden Gems



Today's Hidden Gem: The I-X Center


I've chosen a handful of Hidden Gems in the past where I'm sure the curious elocutionist asks, 'how could that be a Hidden Gem? It's huge or it's so well-known or I've known about that for years?!?!?'



True, true, and true again!



I still believe that the I-X Center offers a number of new adventures and outlets to northeast Ohioans and beyond.



I hate to say it but I do have friends who will not cross the border! Eastsiders who will not venture west....westsiders who refuse to cross over into the land of the circular intersections....and southerners who, well, I just don't know about them!




We've done stories in the past on the future of the I-X Center....on the battle between Cleveland and Brook Park over the I-X Center....and how Cleveland's visions of a new Convention Center may affect the I-X Center.




The infamous 'they' say that the I-X Center is one of the largest convention centers in the country, which was constructed back during World War II for building bombers and tanks. In 1985 it officially re-opened as what we affectionately know as our I-X Center.




All I ask is for anyone who has not been there in a while or ever to jump out of your box (and cross the Cleveland borders)! There are some wonderful shows scheduled in the coming weeks.




If you are a chef or just a connoisseur of tantalizing tastes, I'm guessing you attended last week's Fabulous Food Show. Our very own Michael Symon highlighted the event along with some of his friends including Paula and Bobby Deen and Guy Fieri.

(photo Courtesy wkyc.com)


This weekend we have the always popular Cleveland Christmas Connection November 21-23. I am a big fan of this show. I can not tell you how many Christmas gifts I've gotten through the years by popping in on this seasonal showcase.




Because the complex is so expanse, there are oftentimes multiple shows at once. This weekend, there is also the 1st Annual Ohio Family Pet Expo which runs November 22-23rd.




Shows already scheduled for 2009 include the I-X Indoor Amusement Park which is set to run from March 27, 2009 through April 19, 2009. And you don't have to leave Cleveland to explore your romantic side and sample French fare when America's Largest Home & Garden Show rolls into town February 7-15, 2009.



An amazing memory for me occurred a few years back at the Home and Garden Show. My youngest niece was away at college. My Mom, sister, and I headed out to the show hoping to get a glimpse of Thom Filicia, well-known decorator and member of the Queer Eye cast. Not only did we get a glimpse of him BUT we met him, got his autograph, and called my niece at school WHILE we were speaking with him. My sister put Thom on the line to say hello! What a hoot! We'll never forget that moment!


If you make the trek to the I-X Center, you too, can make a memory and see why it's this week's Hidden Gem!

No comments: