Sunday, November 23, 2008

Waning days of seniority

It's a hard pill to swallow. But unfortunately, most companies (big and small), businesses, teams and organizations have been struck by the economic whirlwind currently shaking up this nation, this world.

Please don't get me started on how the global situation is being handled. I, being a problem solver, may use alternate methods at times. In so many instances, I still see useless 'dead weight' surviving and winning out over dedicated hard workers--for reasons unknown?!?!?!?


A very good friend of my family just passed away. Mr. Frank Oklessen was in his 90's and still working! He had been at his job with the same company for 73 years. Still as sharp as a tack and so productive! In fact, he passed away at his desk at work. He was the first person in the office, as usual! The next person into work found him deceased at his desk. This is how life and the business world used to operate (and it wasn't half bad!!).


Funny, how times change....business leaders and CEO's all of a sudden change their modus operandi (as they choose the route of fewer, less seasoned employees....using cheaper equipment --both causing the decline of the product and its quality).

This new M.O. has sent the world into a tailspin. I guess there is something to be said for experience, seniority, dedication, and giving your employees the best equipment necessary to complete their tasks.

Sad to say, the 'good ole days' are on their way out. Come on, let's face it. Even in the sports arena, times are changing. If you have someone like a Ken Griffey Jr. (or C.C. Sabathia) who has been with one team for so long breaking ties, it's over.


It's really too bad that people who love their job, are great at their craft, want to give 110 percent to their employer on a daily basis, and would even work for less and take a pay cut to continue their tenure are being discarded. We are in the era for forced retirements, buyouts, firings, layoffs, you name it! Heck, it even happened to my mother. She was ill for a spell and was 'forced' to retire, from of all places, the Church! It's a world gone mad!

When the CEO's of the three big auto makers flew their private jets to ask for public funds, it's a world gone mad!

When CEO's, boards of trustees, Presidents, V-P's, and upper upper management continue making 7-figures when they are laying off hundreds and thousands of people, it's a world gone mad!



The holidays are upon us. One of the worst jobs in a newsroom is doing the scheduling. Actually, at times, it does not have to be as hard as it seems. I believe organization, verbal communication (instead of texting and emailing), and proper planning well in advance solves almost every scheduling problem!


When I first broke into this business, I knew I was low man on the totem pole. Let's face it, even as an intern, I worked from 4am until 7pm, weekends and holidays.....which carried over to being an entry level employee. But that was a given fact! You knew that was your lot in life, at least for a while, and you would work hard to be the best!


I continue paying my dues but do have a bit of seniority under my belt! However, I know there are 'untouchable weeks' when the woman with more seniority than I gets first dibs.


I'm not quite sure when it happened, but apparently the rules have changed. Working in this business for almost a quarter of a century does not matter anymore. There was discussion and folks were asked to consider working the holidays so those 'newer' in the business could enjoy time with their families. I'm all for charity and love prevailing and always a very giving person. But, really, what happened to 'paying dues' and seniority???



I must confess. I did not offer to hand back my Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I was fortunate to get them approved. Thank you! I'm not quite sure how this will come back to bite me in the future, if I've been blackballed. I'm sure time will tell. For me, family came first in my decision. My Mother has been in the hospital for so many holidays. I'd really like to spend our few special holidays all together....while we STILL can!


I cantor at my church and sing all the Masses for the major holidays. This is a part of my life. In the past, people were more understanding. Not today. There's a 'robot mentality' blanketing the 21st century society which could be fueling our demise.


I know it is the way of the world now, for whatever reason, and whichever big wigs put out the new edict, but it's quite disconcerting that experience, dedication, love of the job, and seniority really don't have a leg to stand on anymore. It's unfortunate that we are in a world where we may not be able to retire with the company we love and so many people may not even be with their current company this time next year.


Be strong everyone and keep the faith.

No comments: