Wednesday, November 12, 2008

PR folks should 'share the wealth'


In the great scheme of things, it's not a huge deal.


If I were to dwell and pontificate on this for a while, it may evoke a bit of emotion.


But, again, so not worth it!


As I was doing the mail today, I kept wading through reams of paper addressed to everyone else...


Press releases and goodies bags from the Food Show, Time Warner Cable, the Cleveland Indians...


Apparently 'some' Public and Media Relations personnel (NOT ALL--I can see it now, I WILL start getting mail --hate mail) believe there is just one Assignment Editor who works 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.


And, it 'appears' as if 'some' Public and Media Relations people do not realize that usually its the Assignment Editor (all of us who work days/nights/overnights and weekends) who maneuvers & juggles the crews sending them out to cover events even if other staffers do not particularly care about their story. I try to sell stories as best as I can to our producers, managers, anchors, reporters in order to get as much varying content on our air and on our web!



Again, in light of the problems of the world, sickness, poverty, treatment of our elderly, so many good people being fired or laid off, and many other earth-shattering issues plaguing society, quite an absurd concern.


But when I think of how long I have been in this business.....the tens of thousands of stories and events I have lobbied for and covered......HMMMMMMM??? When I see WHO is on the 'A' list?!?! HMMMMMM??!?!!


On the eve of the announcement of the American League Cy Young Award winner (fingers crossed), I ponder at how day in and day out, I sent crews to get Indians' Pre-Game and Postgame....sent crews down to cover stories for legendary Nev Chandler at Cleveland Municipal Stadium....was working the night of the tragic boating accident....field produced a World Series Game on the third base line with Jim Donovan as well as field producing other games at Jacob's Field and Progressive Field ....the list is endless!


Yet, not on the 'A' List. I am still scratching my head over this one!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At our station, the press kit was sent to an assignment editor that hasn't been at the station in ages. The other press kits were sent to sales people and one executive producer. So Food Show, ask the sales folks to send you a camera...oh wait, they don't have those. But as Danielle said, who cares about the Assignment Desk!

John Ettorre said...

Because you can write well (how rare in local TV), you're on my A list, Danielle. I'll be returning to this blog often to stay informed on your world.

Anonymous said...

As a Marketing Manager who works closely with the media, I like to find out who is working the desk and build a report with them. It's nice have someone call you by name (and not in vain!) and work together.

I have enjoyed the relationships that have been built over the years and look forward to my next call to the various stations.

Thank you.