Monday, November 10, 2008

Amazing Grace

The irony of it all.

The title of one of the songs my friend Obie Shelton plays depicts him to a tee.

'Amazing Grace.' I've heard Obie play his rendition on the violin. You better have an ample amount of Kleenex on hand because there is never a dry eye in the house when Obie finishes.

'Amazing Grace.' These two words depict my friend. He is one amazing human being. He has not let the politics, the jadedness, the craziness of this world get to him. His relationship with his God and his family keep him grounded. His multi-faceted background, many interests, and talents galore keep him forging ahead.

Grace. I've never met a man so kind, gentle, and soft-spoken who finds beauty, peace, and serenity in everything every single day of his life.

I can not believe that I have known Obie for almost twenty years. I have watched his son, Owen, grow into a handsome, upstanding young man who has such a bright future ahead of him. His wife, Wendy, the rock of Gibraltar. I'm sure Wendy's disposition has a lot to do with Obie's.

When you hear the name Obie Shelton, you immediately think of television reporter, wkyc, his famous bow-tie, working the overnight shift for the longest time, and then being in charge of the religion beat.

I am blessed and thankful to have worked with Obie and to know him personally. When I think of Obie Shelton, besides the images the viewer conjures up, I have so many personalized fond memories to keep near and dear to my heart. Obie has been a good friend. We've had wonderful talks. We've shared stories about our families, our hobbies, and then of course, work-related dilemmas.

A story I will never forget, and I have a feeling neither will Obie, is when he was assigned to do a story with my Mother. As many of you may know, we are huge baseball fans, huge Cleveland Indians' fans. We have been our entire lives...

One year, as we were augmenting our Cleveland Indians' coverage, Obie came over to our home to do a story on a woman with quite a rich baseball history...wonderful baseball memories...and meaningful memorabilia gathered along the way.

I remember that day. It was before I went into work. I kept bringing out items which had heart-felt stories behind them...cities we've visited following the Indians...momentous games we will never forget. Mom had Obie going with her magnificent stories.

Then Mom got sick. However, being the true baseball fan she is, her doctor busted her out of the hospital so she could attend Opening Day. Another story which truly amazed Obie.

I'm sad this chapter in my friend's life is over. However, that sadness quickly fades and is replaced by anticipation and hope for what lies next in Obie's future. He's a remarkable man with a tremendous family. He has touched so many.

I'm certain Obie Shelton will continue making a difference in people's lives...he will make this world a better place for all of us....and has already made all of us better for knowing him --with his 'Amazing Grace.'

No comments: