Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thank you, Jennifer



I said goodbye to yet another fellow co-worker and friend.


It's an unfortunate recurring act, and that is all I can expound upon on this trend.


But, I just had to say goodbye and thank you to Jennifer Murphy.


A big Thank You!


Jennifer was a dream to work with speaking as an assignment editor.


She'd get her story assignments for the day, more often than not, coming in with enterprising ideas from her life experiences and contacts....and be on her way. She brought stories to the table which were unique for our station. I recall one such story very near and dear to her heart! Her brother, Richard, had his book published. While he was on his book signing tour, he had to pop in and see his sis and give us the 4-1-1 on this exciting moment in his life!


Jennifer also ran the Race for the Cure route to give our viewers an idea of the course, its twists and turns as well as where vehicular traffic should steer clear of on race day! She was a trooper, as she ran the entire route in the pouring rain!
(2 photos courtesy wkyc.com)


I can only speak for myself, but Jennifer really had all of her ducks in a row when she went out on her story. She rarely called in from the field asking me to make calls for her....asking me to look for a number for her.....even asking me for directions. All of those things are part of my job description, but she was really a hands on reporter who took control of her story.


If she was giving out information, a number, or maybe an address on the air, she made sure the news assignment desk had that information up front should we get bombarded with viewer calls.


Jennifer was GREAT at supplying information for her live shots. If she were out at a live location for her story, she would usually come to me with an address, a contact name, and give me details on what she'd like to see and sometimes even where to park the live truck!




Jennifer was also a friend. It's hard NOT to become friends with co-workers you work day-in and day-out with for over thirteen years. Heck, I lived through Jen's evolution from a single young woman....to a happily married woman whisked off her feet by the man of her dreams....to becoming the mother of three adorable children!!!


Jennifer's husband and 3 young children take center-stage now, and frankly, that's the encore I would choose!



She's quite an amazing woman. I'm confident that I will keep in touch with Jennifer. Knowing her dedication and nose for news, it won't be long until she calls in a big story idea!!!!

No comments: