Monday, September 22, 2008

Wasted night for my crews

Now before anyone is offended or up in arms thinking I am giving my opinion one way or another on the political race or a specific candidate, don't worry, I am not.

I'd never do that as a broadcaster...and frankly, even if I was not in this business, I do not like sharing my deepest political, religious, or money views within general conversation!

However, as an organized assignment editor observing a situation....as someone who likes to be extremely efficient, what a debacle.

John McCain came into town Monday night.

His press logistics summary gave details on when media should arrive, when they would be checked out by the secret service, and when Senator McCain would arrive.

In this business for big events, there is what is called a "pre-set time." This means everyone has to be set up by a certain time and will not be allowed to enter after that time!



From the fanfare, and press release, it appeared that there was going to be a video and sound opportunity.


McCain arrived, waved, and went off to bed.


My reporter, crew, and truck operator wasted their entire shift out at Hopkins Airport for something that never happened!


We get press releases all the time saying "No statement will be made at this time."


Live and learn (and more cautious in the future when press releases are received in the future for certain political candidates).

No comments: