Monday, November 2, 2009

A vacation I never imagined

Never ever in my entire professional business career have I been out of the office for so long. I'd like to say it was a nice break, and my dream vacation, but I can not. It was awful in so many ways yet beautiful in others...and continues to be a challenging struggle each day.


Not in a million years did I envision what would happen during my vacation.

What started out as being off to use up my "Indians' World Series" vacation time turned into planning my Mother's funeral.




I was off the first week for a normal, approved vacation. I had my best friend in town and was throwing a huge, blowout 80th birthday party for Mom at the Terrace Club at Progressive Field. I thought, this could be a great week.



Then Mom's 'mystery sickness' became worse and I had to take her to the ER. None of her doctors really know what happened. I guess only God will ever know.



On October 18th, we did not expect her to make it. She was very ill, in CCU and did not have that same will to live she'd had so many times before.



She said, 'Let me go. I'm ready.'



We did not expect her to make it. The entire family and so many good friends gathered at the hospital and kept vigil at her bedside. Fortunately, Mom was with it the entire time. Totally aware of what was happening and able to answer us with written notes, head nods or at the end verbally.



I called off the next week not knowing what would happen. Mom needed me at her bedside. I also made a vow that I WOULD be with her when she passed away.



It was the best decision I ever made. I enjoyed spending so much time with Mom each day, speaking with her nurses and doctors on a regular basis, playing an active role in what was happening and would eventually happen and just being there for her so she was not alone. I made it as homey as possible bringing her favorite pictures from home, her Puffs, watching her favorite television shows with her and acting as we would normally act on a daily basis.



At one point, Mom actually had a few days where she made a little progress and seemed to be getting that spark back. I was not too hopeful though. There was something different.



However, as I've done my entire life, as Mom taught me, I continued living each moment to the fullest and just enjoying my special time with Mom knowing full well what her next destination would be.



I was actually planning on coming back to work the 3rd week when Mom took a turn for the worse. She was still with it but was tired. She was not getting any better and would not.



Her final day, October 26, 2009, was beautiful. Members of my family spent the entire day together. I held her hand all day long. I made stupid jokes to make her smile and light up her eyes. I told her our dog was waiting for her along with so many relatives and friends who have gone before her.





For those three weeks I wondered was there anything else I needed to do, to say, to show her and there was not. Mom and I had been so close. Two kindred spirits, hearts, that we were good. She was my best friend in the entire world. When she was trying to write or say something, I knew what it was before she even finished her statement.





Mom took her afternoon nap with my sister at one side, me on the other, both of us grasping her hands, and she just never woke up.

No comments: