Tuesday, August 11, 2009

News desk nuggets

Over the last week, we've had some interesting happenings in the newsroom and on the news desk which I'd like to encapsulate in one entry and share it as my 'News desk nuggets!'


*Long time General Sales Manager Tom Humpage has left wkyc for greener pastures and a new adventure as General Manager of WGME-TV in Portland, Maine. Tom was a great mentor to me personally. He will be missed. He had two stints at wkyc --11 years the first time and then 6 years when he came back.


*One of my interns, Sarah Cuiksa, finished her stay with Channel 3 last week and, she too, will be sorely missed. What a dream. Besides being just a gem of a person, you could tell her to do something but once and the next time, she had it down. She was my right arm when she worked with me logging the competition, answering phones, helping research, making calls and doing what we all do on the desk --just about EVERYTHING!!! I wish Sarah well and told her to keep in touch and visit when she gets back into town.


*We STILL get mail for former co-workers. Just this week, I've gotten mail for former anchor Tim White, and former reporters Vic Gideon, Bill Safos and Kate Lurie (a blast from my far far past back in the old building.). I will try and find out for a future entry how all of these folks are doing.


*And two of our shining stars in the newsroom will be inducted into the Press Club of Cleveland's Journalism Hall of Fame this October. Sports Anchor & radio voice of the Cleveland Browns Jim Donovan along with Managing Editor/Reporter-Anchor Dick Russ will join the esteemed ranks with former investigative reporter Paul Sciria, Regina Brett of the Plain Dealer, and William Wynne, former PD photographer. Former Cleveland Press and PD reporter Walt Bogdanich and PD Editorial Director Elizabeth Sullivan round out the group.

Congratulations to all of the honorees!!!

No comments: