Wednesday, January 28, 2009

2 hot button questions STILL being asked


Over the last few months, I've been BOMBARDED with two popular questions:


  • Where is Tim White?

  • Do I have school tomorrow?


I've already addressed each topic in past 'Swing by and spray' entries.


If you will indulge me, I'd like to revisit these questions.


Though the Tim White question is 'the most popular' of the two, I'm going to talk about school closings and our iAlert School Closing System first, in light of living in the tundra!


Kids out there --we don't know if your schools are closed until YOUR administrators close them!!!! We don't close schools. You can log onto wkyc.com and click iAlerts to get an up-to-the-minute list of all the school closings. If there are many, we will run them throughout the day. Otherwise, school closings scroll throughout all of our live news shows, especially during the weather forecast!


We recently upgraded our school closing system. It's bigger, it's better, and much easier to use. With any new system, there are bugs to work out. So, please bear with us!


I'd like to make the plea to all administrators of schools, churches, businesses, day cares, or any organization out there that would like to be part of our iAlert System--please sign up! Before the snow flies!!!!!


You can call between 7am and 3pm and speak with Amy Sisak to get the ball rolling. Or the easier method may be to fax (216.344.3314) or email (asisak@wkyc.com) a request to become a member on school or company letterhead. Include your name and # and email...your organization....and any other pertinent information you deem important! Ms. Sisak will get back to you as soon as she can to set you up into our system giving you an ID and Password. She will also send out a packet of information to walk you through the system.


Once you are set up, you can actually go to the iAlert website to close your school YOURSELF. It takes seconds. Once you enter your ID and Password and Login, you need to choose a status such as 'closed' or 'evening classes cancelled.' You get the idea. If there is not one tailored to your needs, choose the one CLOSEST to your needs.


You also should be cognizant of choosing an expiration time. If you don't choose one, your school will remain closed past your deadline. That would be bad!!!!


The computer re-opens three times a day: 10am, 4pm, and 10pm. Please be sure to choose the correct expiration prompt.


I can not tell you how many school closings I've had to fix after an administrator entered their closing. I've had to correct dates --let's say it is Tuesday but the administrator closes school for Monday? Doesn't make sense. If there is not an expiration time, we have to manually go in and amend. OR, I've noticed that administrators have been putting an expiration time ONE WEEK from the day they close--which would give their kids a whole week off! I don't think that's their plan!?!?!


I know it's a new system that everyone needs to get used to but please read over your brochures carefully and complete every single step in order to make the system work like a charm!!



Now, the bigger looming question: Where's Tim White?


I get at least a dozen calls every single day, if not more, asking where is Tim White?


  • Is he on vacation?

  • I've been away for the holidays and just got back, where is he?

  • We miss him immensely.

  • It's a shame he is no longer on your station.

  • He and Romona were the best anchor team in town.

  • He was the best anchorman I've ever seen.

  • I'm gonna have to switch tv stations.

  • Where did he go?

  • He was a true professional, it's too bad you let him go.

  • I loved watching him report the news.

  • He was one of the most intelligent anchors in town.

  • We'll have to live with what's left.

And the list goes on and on and on.......every day.....


Heck, I'm sure they will linger on for years--I still get callers asking where Leon Bibb and Connie Dieken are!!!


Tim left the station mid-December. I can not speak for the station or for what transpired in his departure.


Click on the following link which will take you to the story posted on wkyc.com.


Tim White to leave WKYC after contract



To read Tim White's poignant good bye to all, click on 'End of an Era'


I hate to admit it, but I have not spoken to Tim in the new year. I hope to speak to him soon, and when I do, if he's amenable, I'll pass on his update and any kind words he has for his faithful fans and viewers!

No comments: