Wednesday, January 14, 2009

iAlert System & so much more...news is closed!

Wednesday, thus far, has been an extremely busy news day. And that is why I am in this business! Factoring in the weather and school closings alone would be enough. These tasks are my sole focal point today.

But wait, there's more.

We have Cuyahoga County Commissioner Peter Lawson Jones in house speaking live on air during our 7pm Show with Senior Political Reporter Tom Beres, Carole Sullivan, and Eric Mansfield about the Medical Mart.

Mike O'Mara covered a story that hits close to home for me. He went to the arraignment of Dr. Yazeed Essa, who has been charged with poisoning his wife, Rosemarie, back in February of 2005. I went to high school with Rosemarie's sister, Deanna. Every time we hear from the DiPuccio family, see Deanna in our video or hear the awful story behind this case, I get chills knowing that someone I know is living this nightmare.

Our newsroom has been bustling today. A few folks from The Plain Dealer dropped in to look around and talk to staffers --why? Honestly, I am not privy to why at this time, and if I were, I'm betting I could not share with you! I'm sure we will all read about it in the PD over the coming days or weeks.

The email continue coming in...and I've learned that even if the email comes in before or after I arrive, I still need to wade through every single piece. It may not be addressed to the entire news desk or some of it may be falling through the cracks due to the mass amount we are dealing with....so better safe than sorry! But, this too, takes up a good bulk of my time!



As many of you already may have heard, we have updated our iAlert School Closing System.

There are now 3 bars of information for our viewers including a 'just in' line for newer closings and delays.

With any new venture or project, there are bugs that need to be worked out...a 'work in progress' so to speak.

So far, my experience with the system has been a dream! It is much quicker, easier and can allow us to type the day closed, status, and include a time for the closing to expire.

I've spoken to many customers who have voiced their concerns, though, about the system.

Many callers say the screen is too much. Others say with their new fancy HDTV's, they can not see the very bottom line or the sides get cut off.

Still other administrators who are trying to use the phone-in system get cut off and can not type in the status they desire. I've been trying to get everyone to log onto the website and do it that way, which is so much easier.

I'm sure, part of the problems are the school folks getting used to the new system, and some user error.


Many supers and program directors claim they never received a new packet of information....


This will be a learning process for all involved. But again, overall, it has been a dream on this end.


I urge superintendents, school and church administrators, company bosses, business leaders who want to be a part of the iAlert System to send or email a request on company letterhead to either newsdesk@wkyc.com or asisak@wkyc.com or fax 216.344.3314. Our system administrator will get back to you with an ID and Password and packet of information on how to use the upgraded system.

And remember for the future, do this BEFORE the snow falls!!!!! It will make your life much easier!!!

No comments: