Monday, January 12, 2009

Hit or Miss business



Our weather folks did a wonderful job mapping out where the warnings and watches were, who 'should' be getting the heaviest snowfall totals, and sharing all the necessary details our customers needed to know about this new year snow storm.

Kudos to AJ, Betsy, Hollie, and Bruce!

It's hard to do.

From my end of it, I was lucky.

As an assignment editor (and a traveler), I skated by pretty easily with this latest storm.

Friday was like any other day, for the most part.

We had snow. My two reporters were on 'snow patrol' but, at least during my shift, there was nothing 'out of the ordinary.'

No horrendous accidents, no road closings, no airport shutdowns, no planes sliding off runways, no weather-related medical calls.

And considering we have our new and improved I-Alert school closing system, we really had minimal calls from administrators asking for help. They seem to understand the upgraded system. On our end, it is a dream. When I did get school folks calling in, I was able to assist them within seconds! We still need to work out a few bugs, but so far, so good!

The scanners were slow and quiet most of the night.

I even stayed late. We had a 'scheduling snafu.' There was no one scheduled to relieve me. Though I was not required to stay, I wound up staying about 3 extra hours (no charge!) past the end of my shift 'just in case' something happened with the weather (being the dedicated employee I am!!). Nothing!

After hearing there could be 'gloom and doom,' I was a bit anxious at how the roads would be once I did leave the newsroom.

It took me only 10-15 minutes extra to get home. What a dream. At times, the roads were a bit slick, but I was not 'white knuckling' it at all. Getting up a few hills I encounter were fine. And when I got home, I was able to maneuver around my neighborhood, which is usually impossible during big snow storms.


The worst of it: my driveway! Our plow guys never came until Sunday!



Stay warm, stay safe this winter season! And tune into Channel 3 News and wkyc.com for the most accurate weather coverage from all of our forecasters!!!!!

No comments: