Tuesday, January 20, 2009

World-wide historical day


On days such as these, my convictions are confirmed: I chose the appropriate career.


I have been glued to Inauguration coverage since Sunday's brilliant HBO presentation at the Lincoln Memorial.


If the United States was orchestrated and run as smoothly as that "We are one" special, we'd have nothing to worry about right now.


I've mentioned in previous entries how I am not a huge fan of 'politics' --or I should say, the juvenile shenanigans associated with many of the tendencies and characters connected to politics.


However, today is a world-wide historical day which will have a lasting effect on all of us for years to come.


I could not begin watching 'Inauguration Day' coverage and the swearing in of Barack Obama, our 44th President, early enough.


When I was away from the television, I had the radio or computer close by so as not to miss a beat.



Working in a newsroom during colossal events, at least at Channel 3, usually goes off without a hitch.


When you have a big story, the smaller ancillary issues (that may be top of mind any other day) fall by the wayside, at least for the day.


I still continue to listen to the scanners, monitor the pulse of what's happening in Northeast Ohio, and carry on with all of my other tasks, but for the most part, everything already has been mapped out and just needs to be set into motion. It's also amazing how crime takes a holiday during these special events.


Our local reporters know in advance their assignments and angles. Guests slated to come down to the station to be on set are already confirmed. And much of the rest of our coverage comes courtesy NBC/MSNBC and via satellite feeds from the event itself, or from our local analysts, bloggers and reporters stationed in Washington D.C.


This tightly harmonized planning once again gives me the freedom to feed my political news addiction by tuning into wkyc or msnbc and absorb all of the up-to-the minute coverage on this unbelievable chapter in our country's history.


I look around the newsroom and am surrounded by fellow co-workers, some of whom have never worked an Inauguration Day or may have voted for the very first time.



The day-long adventure (inside and outside the newsroom) with the Inauguration of Barack Obama, our 44th President of the Free World, is an occasion not to be forgotten --EVER!


No comments: