Tuesday, December 16, 2008

End of an Era


I've been in the television business a long time. Oh sure, I have many mentors who exceed not only my experience but my outright days (including the subject of this entry)! I've lived through takeovers, mass firings, retirements, downsizing, unexpected deaths, and even on-set birth labor pains! You name it, I've seen it! And God-willing, will continue to endure.

But, I must admit, the timbre of the last number of days has a foreign feel.

A dear friend and comrade anchored his last show for wkyc Friday night. We were not forbidden to speak of the situation. In fact, the art director created a beautiful card for everyone to sign...throughout the week, friends and co-workers said their good-byes while reminiscing of fond memories. Tim received hundreds, if not thousands of appreciative email, saving every single one. We even ordered the General's favorite banana pepper pizza (a whole one just for him) in between farewell fetes as a 'comforting' send off.

Tim White crafted a poignant farewell to his viewers, his fans, his friends which aired during the 7pm show and re-played during the 11pm news. The station allowed and encouraged this final act.

If you did not see it, I will include the transcript at the end of this entry.


I was and still am a bit dazed at how someone in the spotlight night after night can exit quietly stage left.


No fanfare, unobtrusive good-byes, and absolutely no animosity (at least not in public).


I've never witnessed this before.


But, it certainly does fit in with the character of the protagonist in this story line.


Benevolent man brimming with respect closing the show in the same distinguished way he began it: professionalism intertwined with dignity, style, and grace.





Transcript from Tim White's Goodbye:


"It's not easy to know how to say goodbye to people and a place you have loved for going on ten years. So I have decided to answer some of the questions I've had from viewers. To save TV time, I won't repeat the question. But here are the answers:



  • Yes, Romona and I really do get along that well...off camera too.


  • No, I do not wear a hair piece...it's all mine.


  • I don't think it's all Romeo's fault. And I believe the Browns will win the Superbowl ...in three years.


  • Yes, I do believe Cleveland has already turned the corner; we're just too close to see how far we've come. Ask somebody who has just moved here.


  • It's true that I don't often call it Northeast Ohio --everything north of Columbus and east of Toledo is Cleveland.


  • They should have hung on to Jim Thome.


  • Yes, I do worry that the news business is becoming more business than news.


  • Yes, these are really hard times. In some ways, the years ahead will be like the 1950's --and that's not all bad.


  • No, I don't think it's bad luck. All Cleveland needs to soar is confidence and leadership.


  • Yes, LeBron is a force of nature. But the most remarkable thing about his talent and fame is how well he's handled it.


  • I disagree...the Plain Dealer may be smaller, but it's a good paper and I wouldn't start the day without it.


  • Yes, Romona is the best dressed woman I know. And, she is nice too.


  • No, I have never worked with a better sports guy than Jimmy Donovan. I don't think there is one.


  • I agree...Betsy has made the transition to being a great mom as gracefully as she made the transition to being the main weather person.


  • I appreciate that, but if you like our newscast the real people to thank are the reporters and producers and camera folks and editors who work hard every day to make a newscast we are all proud of. Romona and I are just the tip of the iceberg.


  • Yes, folks around here DO care a lot about veterans. The rest of the country should learn from us.


  • What's it been like? Being here with you every night has been more than a job. It's been a blessing.


  • Sure, it's been hard for me to have my family scattered all over the country and the world. But you have made me feel like part of yours, and I will always be grateful for that.


  • It is not easy to move on. But it is time.


  • I'll let you know what comes next. There is a lot of work to do.


From the bottom of my heart-thank you. And for now, Goodbye."





No comments: