Monday, April 28, 2008

Hits close to home

(Photo Courtesy: WKYC)


Working on the news assignment desk (and as many years as I have), you are bound to have your work and home life collide now and then. Unfortunately, there are more collisions than I'd like to recall.

Thankfully, back in December 2006, my family had forewarned me that my Mother had fallen and they had called an ambulance. Sure enough, while I was still on the phone with them, I heard the EMS squad dispatched to my home.

Many years ago, back in the old Channel 3 Building at 6th and Rockwell, a call came over the scanner for an accident at East 127th and Woodland. I remember it as if it were yesterday. I sent a cameraman, Mark Saksa, to check out the accident. When he arrived on scene, he said that it appeared the victim may have had a medical emergency which caused his car to strike a pole. Moments after Mark reported in, I got a phone call from my Mother that my Uncle Tommy had been in an accident and it did not look good. I left work and yes, it was my Uncle who was the victim of this deadly crash.

Yesterday, I saw an ad on television which reminded me of yet another such incident, which so far, is having a much better outcome.

As a tour guide at Hiram College, I had the privilege of meeting prospective students and their families and imparting my experiences and knowledge of the College on them.

One such family I had the honor of meeting was the Humphreys/Pruitt Family.

Ahmad Pruitt and his family came up to Hiram to take a tour, check out the lay of the land, and learn more about the College. We hit it off immediately. They were one of the most charming families I have ever met. That was back in the mid 80's and I am honored to say that I can STILL call them friends!

You can imagine how horrified I was hearing that Officer Aric Pruitt had been severely injured in a police chase back in August, 2007.

Fortunately, Aric's strong spirit coupled with the abundant support of family and friends has been the driving force behind Aric's amazing recovery.

Aric Pruitt's comeback and continued hard work is depicted in a new public service pictorial for MetroHealth's Wall of Hope. Mr. Humphreys shares his story and thanks the MetroHealth Hospital staff and cutting edge medical advances for saving his son's life.

As a news person, you try keeping a little distance between the story at hand and your personal feelings. However, in instances such as these, it's nearly impossible to stay impartial. Each time that ad comes on tv now, I get a lump in my throat and a feeling of pride for such a wonderful family battling back from adversity. I'm humbled and honored to know and have been touched by an amazing family!

2 comments:

Eric Mansfield said...

Dani,
Powerful stuff ... reminds all of us of how power-less we are to control what happens around us. Glad to know that all these years of TV news haven't taken away your heart for real people.

Eric

taawd said...

A longtime assignment editor and still one of the best in Cleveland! This is why I love blogs because I never knew this story about you and Officer Pruitt.