Wednesday, December 16, 2009

News desk nuggets


I've tried sharing the top of mind stories and happenings as they've unfolded up here on the News Assignment Desk over the last number of weeks.

It's been a bit more of a challenge, but I've done a pretty good job of hardly 'skipping a beat' with the death of Mom--both here at work and in my home life.


Honestly, I've done a much better job at work (my house is a mess, I'm not ready for Christmas and ......my 'to-do' list is endless!!) as I've stayed on top of my game, continue cranking out story idea after story idea (my Pee Wee kids from Shaker, Vermilion grinch, Lakemore folks coping with Thanksgiving under a boil alert, LeBron's new book...), contributing to our daily product, as well as handling website work on a daily basis.


Last Saturday I worked the night shift, and if I say so myself, kicked some booty. It was fun working with the weekend crew. A different perspective, an expanded way to experience my little 'slice of heaven!' I did my thing of running the desk and keeping on top of what was happening in Cleveland and the surrounding burbs including a wall collapse at East 99th and St. Catherine.


Working on the desk is a crap shoot day in and day out. Some days are so busy you do not have time to breathe. It's rare when there is a slow day, but thankfully Saturday was very low key. I told producer Carrie I almost showed up in my pink plaid doggie pajamas!!! (Just kidding!) It gave me the opportunity to prepare for the week ahead as well as taking the reins of wkyc.com. I take great pride in all of my work, including my contributions to wkyc.com.


We were a cut above the rest Saturday with fresh content and tons of local and national stories throughout the evening.


Though I have shared my experiences on Swing by and spray, there are some tales I've yet to tell during this challenging personal time for me. I thought I'd whip up another edition of News desk nuggets to catch you all up over the last few weeks.

A few changes of scenery. We were lucky enough to get flat screen computer monitors up here on the news desk. We are gradually getting up to speed. Baby steps go a long way!!!!

The videographers are into the holiday spirit as they started decorating the photog lounge. It's quite soothing. If the day gets hectic, it's worth taking a quick jaunt into the 'ready room' to get back to the peaceful zone!


It's the holidays, and more so than ever, we have to be smart utilizing the crews we have to the fullest. I guess the saying is "get more bang for your buck." There was a great story we wanted to cover but we were down a reporter so I sent Videographer Dan Medsker to shoot a photo essay on the AIDS Quilt which was wrapping up at MetroHealth Medical Center and heading back out on the road. Medsker did a fabulous job! It's great to think out of the box and let our co-workers use all of their amazing talents!


AND, it would not be a Browns-Pittsburgh Game if we did not pull out a 'special edition' Thursday Night Fever. Editor Pat Woodside, a huge Pittsburgh Steelers fan, actually took the initiative to call on his day off and volunteer to make his famous Con Queso. That alone can sustain any newsroom party. The rest of it fell together quite nicely INCLUDING a Browns win!!!




Finally, I'd love to end my News desk nuggets with the story attached to the lead picture on this edition. That rainbow is the gift my Mother sent me on Thanksgiving morning. Our Pastor took the picture as he was heading to Thanksgiving Mass. My family knows it's for us because the rainbow was directly over our house. Now, I am just looking for that pesky pot of gold that accompanied the rainbow. I'm sure it is not far behind!!!! Thanks Mom!

No comments: