Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Happy New Year!

What else is there to say?

We are about to embark on a new year, a new decade and hopefully a fresh start --stronger than ever!! And I know stronger than ever because of what I and we all have had to endure in 2009.

It may sound silly, but for me, the onset of the New Year, the Lenten Season, and the Advent Season ushers in a new opportunity to try again, improve oneself and become a better person. I know I should not have to wait for these three pivotal seasons, but they motivate me more than anything else and give me a renewed hope for the future.

This year's economic uncertainty has affected all of us. At the beginning of 2009, I never imagined that everyone I know, including myself, would become so familiar with the term 'furlough,' as well as downsizing as I still cringe seeing how my 401-K has vanished before my very eyes!

Many of my friends have lost their jobs and it's a given that the 'raise' as we once knew it is long gone. Staying with the same company your entire career seems to be a thing of the past, tragic as that may be.


I'm still speechless and shaken up at the catastrophic event which occurred back on March 25, 2009. Mind boggling. My life was changed forever...my property destroyed....my peace of mind and sense of security violated--all as I innocently sat up on the news assignment desk just doing my job.


Amazingly enough, at the time I thought 'that' single incident was one of the worst things in my life. That was until October 26, 2009. My car being totalled in the parking garage while I diligently worked pales in comparison to my Mother and best friend dying.



Just as I personally try to forge ahead through hardship, overcome adversity, tie up loose ends, wrap up last minute obligations, and clear the slate, the same holds true here in the newsroom.

We've been airing stories that our reporters have been researching and compiling for weeks --various year-enders ranging from the amazing medical success stories coming out of Cleveland's world renowned hospitals to the rocky year for not only our County Government but the Cleveland Catholic Church as local churches continue shutting their doors....a close look at the accomplishments of the Cleveland Municipal Schools as well as improvements still necessary to get our kids up to par with the nation, and the same old song and dance which sounds like a broken record year-in and year-out --the 'wait til next year' mantra surrounding all of our Sports teams!


I say goodbye this week to an excellent intern as he heads back to OU--wishing Brad Appleton the best of luck with his studies and a very bright broadcasting career ahead!


I continue passing out cards, gifts, and holiday greetings to my fellow co-workers.


I move into the New Year knowing I have gone above and beyond and have given my all at work to wkyc and wkyc.com...I have excelled on the news desk and in all of my duties....I've tried to be the best co-worker, friend, family member and most importantly, I hope I've used all of my God-given talents to the best of my ability and have made my maker proud.


I am excited for what's yet to come in the new year --the opportunities ahead, knowledge to be learned, meeting new people and making new memories!


Finally, I wish you a safe New Year's Eve and a perfect start to what will be a 'hope-filled' year overflowing with happiness, success, joy and laughter to you and those you love.

No comments: