Monday, October 4, 2010

First station with the passing of Dr. White



When you are an assignment editor, the news never stops, is never put on hold.


Dr. Robert White passed away on September 16, 2010.


I have pretty strong ties to this story for a number of reasons. First and foremost, Dr. White and his family belonged to my church for the longest time. As Dr. White got older, he stayed out in Geneva more and more. But, he held a very special place in his heart for our church and our Pastor (who he periodically checked on, even a week before his death). He also adored my Mom, who was our parish secretary for nearly 30 years before her passing last October.


When Dr. White passed away, I got a text from one of my contacts--while I was in the shower.


Shower time ends (for now) and I immediately messaged the station including my bosses, the news desk, Dick Russ (who does most of our religious stories), Health Anchor Monica Robins, and our webmaster.


I relayed the information I had at the time, which was not much, but it was a start. Also, from home, I called the Catholic Diocese, MetroHealth Medical Center, the Cleveland Clinic and anyone else I could think of who I had in my cell phone, to get more details.


I then proceeded to finish getting ready and whizzed into work.


We beat the competition hands down on air and on the web with details of this sad breaking news story.


Dr. Robert White was larger than life. Not only a world-renowned neurosurgeon who saved countless lives and invented unimaginable medical procedures but served under numerous Popes.


One of my favorite all-time life moments is when I had the opportunity to give communion to Dr. White. I will never forget that occasion. I distributed the body of Christ to a man so much larger than life to me. I was humbled and honored.


And we've come full circle. I was able to help my newsroom break this developing news story about an amazing Cleveland and world-wide icon.


You just never know when news will happen, and when somehow you will be connected or have the opportunity to disseminate the information first.


What's even more humbling for me is that I was able to sing Dr. White's memorial service October 3, 2010 with my church choir, which included me soloing the 'Ave Maria.' It's very surreal and amazing to me, paying homage to a man I knew personally, who appeared on our news programs countless times, and who made the local and national news time and time again.


After the service, I ran into a fellow news person from the competition who could not believe it was really me singing. And she's right. We just assume that someone's job defines them and that is exclusively who they are.


The same holds true with Dr. Robert White. Everyone saw him as 'the' Dr. White, the man who saved so many lives and initiated so many medical breakthroughs, yet there was so much more to him which included his rich religious life attending daily mass, his kindness, his extraordinary family, and how he compassionately treated everyone as if THEY were the pope.


Rest in Peace Dr. White.

No comments: