Thursday, October 14, 2010

Am I coming or am I going?


Whirlwind week.


The nature of the TV biz.


One thing's for sure--a whirlwind week goes by in the blink of an eye.


The last week has consisted of more computer training, some schedule changes and, on my own time, staying up all night long watching coverage of the Chilean mine rescue.


Rewind to last Friday and Saturday.


I was scheduled to work Friday night until 11pm which wound up being closer to 12:30am and then turning around and running the desk at 7am Saturday morning.


Not a shock to my system because I stay up late most nights and get up early.


Honestly, a change of pace is kind of nice every once in a while.


So I wound up getting about four hours of sleep, tossed on some comfy clothes which included my jeans skirt (being a Saturday morning) and my Evan Longoria t-shirt. Yes, Ms. Cleveland Indian does have a secondary team for the playoffs!


I stopped at my local coffee shop and got a Chai Tea Latte LARGE and as many pastries as I could carry for a crew that I rarely work with regularly.


The drive into work simply amazing as the sunrise dotted a city skyline I just adore.


I actually had Brandon the intern working beside me so I got more work done Saturday morning than I can usually accomplish during my regular shift! It was wonderful!


But the week is just about to get absolutely ridiculous.


I had 2 days scheduled for what they call SEO training. I work a lot on wkyc.com so I was included in this 2-day seminar to try and get more traffic for our website. The first day of the seminar was invaluable. The second day used more technical terms than I am used to but I'm sure it will all come in handy as I daily post stories to our website.


Because of this seminar, again, I was working double shifts and short turnarounds.


And then one of the greatest news stories in a long time just happened to unfold on my Mom's birthday. I'm sure this is a gift to the world from up above from my Mom. The Chilean miners got rescued. I could not stop watching. I mean it. When there is a huge national story such as this, I camp out and just watch MSNBC, CNN, and FOX all night long, never going to bed. I'm riveted and drawn to the action.


That's what I did. I watched all night long, attended morning mass in honor of Mom and headed back into work for day 2 of my seminar.


Once the seminar broke, back again to tv watching the rest of the miners being rescued and freed.


I too, got a lot of work done being off the news assignment desk this day. I even got some much needed training time on our new editing system, Edius. I actually cut a SOT-VO-SOT with a dissolve. I was very excited. Oh, I need much more training but at least I know I can do it and it's not out of the realm of possibility!


I can honestly say I am physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted. This rarely happens to me. I'm sure I'll rejuvenate soon.


Even though there is much more on the job training with our new system and trial by error learning, hopefully the topsy turvy schedule will stabilize a bit and I will know if I am coming or I am going!!

1 comment:

Chris McNamara said...

As a recent journalism grad ('10), this post is incredibly interesting.

I'm surprised the assignment desk is getting involved in SEO and web work, talk about being multi-talented! When I interned at a news station in Chicago ('08), web content was handled by two people (one on weekends) and an intern. Everything needed for the web went through the web content producer only. It's interesting to see other positions being drafted to do more web-related work.

As someone who will, hopefully, land a position in news soon, I really enjoy reading posts like this!