Thursday, August 19, 2010

Interns wrapping up their stints


We had a good group of interns this quarter.


We had Lauren, Courtney, Emily, and Sierra.


I worked the most with and more closely with Sierra.

Interns, when you get to know them, can be just like family --a younger sister or brother, even a child (for those of us who are 'older').


Being an intern myself way back when, I welcomed the help and advice my mentors gave me. Ironically, many of my mentors turned out to be fellow employees at different points during my career.

The first person I met at WEWS as an intern was a producer at the time, Corrie Harding. And low and behold, the first person who greeted me when I began working at WKYC was my pal, Corrie Harding, a Channel 3 producer.


As an intern you are given opportunities you may never get again.

As an intern at WEWS, I worked on their Live on Five show and then in their editing department. One of my most memorable experiences as a Live on Five intern was the day we had Richard Simmons AND Jim J. Bullock in studio as guests. Just picture the energy and craziness bouncing off those walls. It was tremendous! And as an editing intern, just an intern, I was allowed to feed the Live on Five show. If you know what you are doing, they let you do as much as you can/want!

Gradually over the last few weeks, our interns have wrapped up their terms, finished their final projects, gotten their tapes in order, and have said their good byes.

This week, Sierra waves her last hurrah. In a few weeks, young Emily does the same.

We say it all the time, but really mean it. We encourage our interns, our friends, to keep in touch and tell us how and what they are doing. Anyone in this newsroom would be more than willing to offer advice, help, or even give recommendations for those interns who excelled.

I know I've said it before but will continue saying it for as long as I live. One of my all time favorite interns, if not my fave, is Mark Zinni. We've kept in touch over the years and now he has come back home. He's a reporter at Fox 8. What a joy to see him develop over the years and come into his own. I am so proud of how well he has done and blush when he tells me that I played a role in his success.

I wish the best for all of our interns! Congratulations and only good luck my friends!

No comments: