Sunday, August 1, 2010

Eyes always open looking for 'spot news'



What a weekend!


Working in the news business on an assignment desk trains one to be 'on call' 24/7, always on the lookout for a very good story.


Last night while coming home from a function, I saw numerous screeching Cleveland Police vehicles traveling at a hefty pace south on East 55th passing Woodland Avenue.


Sure enough, called it in to Emily on the desk giving her the pertinent information that hopefully assisted her in getting details from the police. The more YOU supply, the more apt they are to play ball.



Better still though was today as I headed to the Terminal Tower to take a look off of the amazing observation deck. Supposedly today is/was the final day.


I was one of the last ticket-buyers to actually get a ticket. I felt as if I needed to keep my hot little hands on that ticket or someone may snatch it out and push me out of line.


The Terminal Tower must have turned away at least 500 people.


I was shocked, yet after thinking of the amazing view, not so surprised.


As soon as I realized that the event was sold out and that I would more than likely be standing in line for over two hours, I dialed up the news desk and gave them the 4-1-1.


5 minutes after hanging up the phone with Producer Caitlin, I see one of my videographers, Shane Snider, arrive at the Terminal Tower lobby to commemorate the masses waiting to go up, up, and away!


A truly mind blowing afternoon.


Thankfully, I always have something to read with me....but it was tremendous fun 'people watching' and seeing how each little pocket of people had their own special way to pass the time.


A grandmother had her grandchildren and they all took turns standing in line while the others rested their legs or even shopped.


The love birds in front of me could not keep their hands off of each other. Check that. He could not keep his hands off of her while she, more interested in her photography session with history.


While chained in line, hundreds passed by asking 'why are you in line?' And everyone in line seemed to see a few friends passing through Tower City during their wait.


Finally, the countdown.


The end seemed near.


The elevators up to a heavenly view were within reach --the next group!


When we got to the first elevator stop, I was greeted by a former co-worker Jeremy Borger, who was working for the group handling this entire endeavor. Jeremy--perfect person to sell Cleveland and greet each and every person with humor and enthusiasm.



Finally, 2 hours and 15 minutes later--up at the Terminal Tower Observation Deck looking down on one of the most beautiful cities that I have ever seen. You can see for miles and miles.


A small deck, yet so telling about the great history of Cleveland, Ohio.


Besides the beautiful view of the water and the Flats bridges, my favorite site: "Jacob's Field!"

No comments: