Saturday, August 21, 2010

Enough already! Plane crash, house explosion, bear attack

The last few weeks have been packed with news.

The irony is the reason I worked different shifts revolved around vacations.

Not only is it the middle of summer, which could be slow by nature, but there have been a whole slew of folks off.

Yet, I think, we've still had two really great weeks of news.

And this day did not disappoint.

Nothing starts off the day like a house that explodes to augment your fresh mango fruit salad.

I'm not making lightly of this event, I am stating the facts.

Before much of the rest of the city even arose, a big house went boom in Ashtabula County.

I/We all pretty much knew what would dictate the rest of our day.

I knew immediately what I wanted to do but I did need to contact my boss to get them in the loop and make sure calling a few guys in early was ok.

And away we went.....I sent Jeff Maynor from home since he lives out that way....sent a few crews to meet him as well as calling in the satellite truck operator early to make the trek towards the Ohio /PA border.

You strive to be first at events but you also aim to get the information as quickly as possible on the website and shoot for live coverage for your next live show.

Check, check, and check again!


If that was not enough, we ended the week on a bear attack in Lorain County.

This story has been bubbling over for years and years. Sam Mazzola has acres of land with lots of wild, 'tame' animals. Animal activist groups have been protesting events he has sponsored and public appearances he's had with his animals through the years.

Not sure how this one will end up but one of his workers was killed by one of his bears. That can't be good.

In the news business, you are only as good as your last show. The last two weeks have been pretty darn good and I am extremely proud of the effort put forth on the news assignment desk.

No comments: