Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What a time to be "computer-less"


Yes, my friends.

I was in FLA for 5 days and the big story revolved around Cleveland and Florida!

It appears that news follows me wherever I go.



As I was leaving and at Hopkins International Airport, all the stations had LeBron on and what 'may happen?'



However, here was my predicament.



I was off for 5 days. I made a vow that I was going to lay low out of town, to the extent no phone and no computer.



The no computer situation solved itself because I don't yet have a fancy phone that gets the Internet AND the place I was staying did not really have a great Internet connection ....so I WAS pretty much locked out of my provider, Facebook and Twitter.



What a time to be locked out? I so wanted to hop on and fire back at LeBron James at what he did to the city of Cleveland, Dan Gilbert, all the little kids who so look up to him, and the Cleveland Cavaliers.




I did make my friend tivo LeBron so we could watch it after the Indians-Rays game. Loved seeing the Cleveland reaction, though it was distressing and I did burst into tears yet again. The 1st time being at the Indians-Rays game getting text messages as to what happened and just erupting into tears in the middle of Tropicana Field.



I did not even know the 1/2 of the story being 2000 miles away and computer-less.



Holy smokes. When I got back and I saw 'the letter' as a response to 'the decision,' I said --you go Dan Gilbert!



The whole time in FLA, wherever we were--whether eating or poolside --there was something on tv regarding the 3 new Miami Heat. I could not get away from it.





The phone angle --I must admit, I told a few folks to text me 'the decision' since I was not near a tv at that time. I also texted a few folks back. But for the most part, I did stay away from the phone.




And yet, the news still followed me around!





I'm told I was on tv --during the 2nd game of the Indians & Tampa Bay Rays game! Still have to take a look at that footage to make sure I looked 'presentable.'



I ran into a very old friend of mine who used to be the OPS Manager and one of my former photogs at WKYC --Kim Fatica. What a joy to see him, if only for a fleeting moment.








AND, to top it off, he had to cover this huge sinkhole ....so of course, emails his former assignment editor a picture of his assignment while he was on scene. We still have that bond! It WAS a great picture! I felt like I was in the know on top of the news happening in TPA.







I also hooked up with one of my former co-workers and pretty much my best friend who used to be an editor extraordinaire at WKYC --Craig Schuck.





It does someone a world of good not to be tethered to their computer....but again, what a time to be computer-less when the biggest story to hit the sports world and Cleveland is unfolding before our eyes and I feel helpless and paralyzed!





Lesson to be learned --upgrade my phone OR wean myself off of the computer and Facebook so I can actually live a normal life every once in a blue moon!

No comments: