Saturday, June 26, 2010

Extraordinary week of news



The amount of extraordinary news we covered this week is just one of the many reasons I adore what I do and where I do it.


And thankfully so, it quickly eased me back into some sort of rhythm after a blissful week of vacation!


Let's see. The 1st day back brought follow up coverage of yet another house explosion, which occurred in Concord, Ohio. Quite frightening how all of these houses are going up in flames. Fortunately, the family was not home at the time. And what's worse--on the scanners, we hear time and time again "gas leak" or "smell of gas" never knowing if the call out will turn into a house that goes boom.


Tuesday started out swiftly as I sent a crew to a car chase which ended with the suspect car taking out some parked cars, an RTA bus shelter injuring 2 people, a phone pole and tree. And of course, the suspect ran from the scene. Go figure!


Ashford Thompson's trial wrapped up which lead to Holly Miktarian granting Romona Robinson a one-on-one exclusive sit down interview to share her feelings and memories of her husband, Josh, who was gunned down by Thompson during a normal traffic stop. The incident happened nearly two years ago and Miktarian's killer was just sentenced to death.



For some crazy reason, I promised one of my cameramen (Randy) and one of our top editors (Matt) that I'd bake them cupcakes. Whatever possessed me and how we even got on the subject still escapes me! But I was not about to go back on my promise....so while I watched the USA win in World Cup Soccer I whipped up nearly 60 cupcakes for the gang --yellow with chocolate frosting and chocolate with chocolate frosting. I must admit, well worth baking on a 94 degree day!



Thankfully we had the extra boost of sugar because Wednesday seemed to be the busiest day with a 5.0 earthquake that rattled northeast Ohio, as well as many portions of the US and Canada.


Then we got yet another round of severe weather, General Petraeus took the reins, and of course continuing coverage of LeBron Watch and World Cup Soccer!



We've had a local soldier die and an injured marine brought back to the US.


And just as one fallen officer's suspect gets sentenced, we remember the 10 year anniversary of the death of Officer Wayne Leon. Dick Russ had a nice sit down interview with his wife, Grace, on this anniversary remembrance.



If you did not think there could be any more news, sit tight people.


It's already been a year --that fateful day when we lost the King of Pop and an endearing 'angel.' The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum hosts a huge Michael Jackson remembrance weekend while Michael's father Joe not only made the trek to Cleveland BUT to the Channel 3 Studios.



I can not recall a week so chock full of news.



That's what we do! Have a great weekend everyone!