Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Dr. Yazeed Essa gets life in prison

The Yazeed Essa case appears to be a 'complex text book case,' much more interesting than most, depicting what it takes and how long is necessary to bring about justice.

I say 'text book' not because it was an open and shut case at first but because this case will be used for years to come in law schools all over the country.

I find it hard to talk about this particular case because I went to high school with Rosie's sister, Deanna.

I feel if I start analyzing the case, I may sound cold. And I definitely do not want to sound impersonal --especially to the family. Yet, if I don't discuss it at all in this blog, I will ignore documenting one of the most fascinating Cuyahoga County cases of all time.

From the very beginning when Dr. Essa plotted to poison Rosie and make it appear as an accident, one realized this case would have many twists and turns.

Once it was established Rosie's death was murder and Dr. Essa fled the country, everyone started scratching their heads and wondering what would be uncovered next.

I am not going to rehash the last five years. We all know what happened.

Suffice it to say this high profile case intrigued everyone.

I have a friend who popped into a Medina County restaurant the day Dr. Essa was sentenced. He said normally there may be a few of the regulars on hand. However, this day the place was packed. When he asked the owner what was happening, he said, 'The Essa sentencing case is on' and went back to viewing the event with the masses.

Bottom line: Dr. Yazeed Essa was sentenced to life in prison with the chance for parole after 20 years --under the law.


I'm sure Dr. Essa will appeal. He never addressed the family, the judge, nor the court, as instructed by his lawyers. But, for the first time ever, he showed emotion, and I believe it was real.


Though the case may be closed for now, what the family has encountered and will have to endure for the rest of their lives will never be over.

The DiPuccio family exemplifies one of the strongest, most faith-filled, tight-knit family's I have ever witnessed.

I can not even imagine where they've gotten the strength to carry themselves over the last 5 years.

They are all true inspirations who I personally will remember often, especially when I myself am facing adversity.

Nothing I've faced thus far, including the death of my Mom (and you all know Mom's death is still a nightmare for me), has been as awful as losing a daughter, a mother, a sibling and friend the way the DiPuccio family lost Rosie.


Besides being a prominent court case, this case teaches many life lessons.

Dr. Essa's actions changed a family and their future forever. In one second their history vacillated toward a different direction. Nothing will ever be the same for the DiPuccio family.

Life goes on. I've learned that with Mom. But, it appears, that their life goals now may take a new route: taking care of Rosie's children, making sure they know how wonderful their mother was, and in 20 years, making sure there is no way in hell Yazeed Essa gets out of prison.


Another lesson learned is to be aware. When a friend tells us something's not right, listen to them just as Rosie's best friend listened to her about the medicine Yazeed forced Rosie to take just before she got into her car.


Hold your family and close friends near and dear to your heart every day for you never know when they'll be gone. Tell them you love them and allow yourself to be loved.


Live life as if it were your last.


And never forget Rosie DiPuccio.

No comments: