Monday, June 29, 2009

Brian Chalmers boundless creativity now fills the heavens (1955-2009)




Stunned. The only way I can explain my feelings when I heard the news that a former co-worker had passed away.

I know life is fragile and totally out of our hands.

But, you still like to have the illusion that we hold everything together with that thread of control and 'we' are steering the ship of life.

I first saw the announcement on Facebook of all places.

I figured it had to be a different Brian Chalmers. How could it be Brian, who I worked with day in and day out? So young?

But, as I read more details, I knew it was one in the same.

There is so much I want to pen all at once--the thoughts are just spinning around in my head.

I guess the first observation I'd like to share with my readers is Brian Chalmers' unassuming ways.

His knowledge of music, art, Cleveland history, Rock and Roll history, and the radio and tv business a beacon for all to see, yet never flashy or overpowering.

You never witnessed a 'pushiness,' selfishness, vanity, or any character traits you'd 'think' he would possess because of his creativity and brilliance. No. He was a genius and at the top of his craft but never threw it in your face. In fact, he was one of the gentlest people I've ever met. He had a great sense of humor. He'd always stop by and say hello and only had kind words wearing that trademark baseball cap, rock and roll t-shirt, shorts, and sometimes a crazy Hawaiian-type shirt over a rock and roll t-shirt.

Honestly, as time went on and each day I learned a little more, I was flabbergasted at his talent, his once-in-a-lifetime experiences through the years and how he was able to stay so grounded in such a crazy business (radio and television).


He won award after award for his accomplishments, yet you'd never know it.


At 3, you'd toss stuff his way and somehow, he always made it work and come together. Doing news graphics and maps and such may not have been as exciting as his music assignments but he always gave his all, and again, came up with unique ways to help tell a story.


When someone passes, it always resurrects a few lessons which I try to keep but usually wind up abandoning in time.


Life is fragile. It can be plucked from us at any moment so live it to the fullest, being the best person we can be at all times.


No regrets. Try to live live so there are no regrets.


Enjoy those around you and close to you, for they could be gone in a heartbeat.


Tell people how you feel about them while they are in the here and now. It's always tragic that we have great things to say about people when the are gone, things we should have said to them while they were among us.


It's not goodbye Brian. It's just until we meet again. I can't wait to see your latest creations and masterpieces.



CLICK HERE for a wonderful tribute by Brian's dear friend, John Gorman.

No comments: