Monday, March 23, 2009

WHY?

A rhetorical question, at least in my mind.

I can laugh now because the day progressively got better, and believe it or not, I solved all the curve balls whizzed my way.

The ice breaker--when my shoe almost fell in the toilet as I flushed with my foot!

I know what I do, how important the assignment editor position is in a news organization(or at least used to be), how much I accomplish, how many 'fires' I put out, and the numerous solutions I enact on a daily basis.

Some days are easier than others.

This is not one of those days.

One of the worst parts of this puzzle-solving is when the octopus arms start coming from all angles suffocating the life out of me....

When others do not cooperate to the extreme of making my job impossible....

When staffers think that their story is the most important (which is a strong attribute) but also think that they can utilize every crew for the duration of their shift....


From the get go today, staffers, though standing right next to their phones were NOT answering them. Hmmmmmm?

I have no problem telling our viewers or PR people, or good contacts, 'so and so is standing right next to their phone, I don't have a clue why they never picked up!'


Then, it was a treat when multiple sources simultaneously convened at the news desk vying for crews, which we just did not have. Heck, I did not even have a crew to check out a fatal crash on I-480. But what brings it on home is that priceless blank stare beamed back my way as to say, 'what do you mean, there is not a crew available? I gave you a 5 second notice!'


I make sure I am out of the way when food enters the newsroom. Half the time I can not find my crews, yet there must be some type of newsroom table sensor or hidden camera. Dave Summers and his crew, Mark Smilor, brought back a plethora of food from their story. It was not down on the table 5 seconds before the masses made the mad dash our way. Very telling!


And the final blow, which I guess is one of my pet peeves is when the work is not down, but folks start winging the footballs and frisbees about (not sure where they find the time, there IS NO free time anymore).....yet they can't pick up a phone when they start ringing off the hooks! HMMMMMM.


As usual, I've staffed all the wish list requests (except mine to cover that fatal crash)....confabbed with editing to make sure they are covered.....still had time to join in on the 7pm show web chat for a while.....and continue making headway in this bustling major market newsroom!


Overall, it may turn out to be a good day, though it was like pulling teeth to get to this peaceful place!

No comments: