Friday, February 27, 2009

Deja Vu


WOW! That's all I can say right now. This has been the first chance I have had to come up for air.

No matter how slow or busy the shift before me may have been never dictates how my stint will unfold.

Usually if the shift before me has been slow, that's when I say --WATCH OUT!

I had not even logged on the computer yet when I experienced deja vu.

1 year ago (not the date) but the same circumstances --Friday...end of February....the day before the Auto Show opened.....and we were doing our entire 7pm show out at the I-X Center for an Auto Show Preview. Tragedy struck when Officer Derek Owens was shot and killed in the line of duty.

Today --Friday...end of February....the day before the Auto Show begins and we are pretty much locked into doing most of our 7pm show out at the I-X Center for an Auto Show Preview. Another officer shot. This time, a Fairview Park officer shot after pursuing an armed and dangerous fleeing bank robber.

The Fairview Park officer was treated and released for his gunshot wound.

But, for me, quite eerie. What are the chances?

It is always awful to hear that an officer, emergency personnel, or safety personnel have been injured or shot.

The timbre on the scanners changes. You know what happened by the tone even if the verbiage has not clearly stated the obvious.

Well, that is what happened today. Shortly after 3pm, talk of a North Olmsted bank robbery quickly escalated as shots rang out and the officer as well as the suspect had been hit.

The circumstances for the Fairview Park Officer did not mimic last year's turn of events. However, someone did lose their life in this exchange.

At this writing, the investigation remains open and in its preliminary stages. Stay with Channel 3 News and wkyc.com for the latest developments on this breaking news story.

I'm still stunned at the similar occurrences on this fateful date, and mouth wide open, will be shaking my head all night long.

No comments: