Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The news found me


I did not ask for it, but Tuesday morning, the news found me!

We have a saying on the news desk: "Don't become a factsheet!" A factsheet is just another name for our computer information sheets.

I 'sort of' became part of a factsheet regarding the news of the day.

The rains came Tuesday morning. At least in my neck of the woods. Yet other folks did not see a spot of rain. From Cleveland's east side to Shaker, Cleveland Heights, University Hts., South Euclid, Beachwood, the skies opened and pummelled residents for almost 2 straight hours without letting up.

It would have been the perfect lazy day to just lounge around --had the water in my backyard not been up to my calves. I had to take my little squeegee and make sure the sewer drain was not blocked and help the water along a bit.

Unfortunately, the overflow of water seeped down into our basement. Another story in and of itself!

The cleanup effort morphed into an all day and all night project, which is still not over!

We checked with a neighbor who was traveling out and about and he, too, was surrounded by high waters, cars floating in high water, cars flipped over on the highway...


Always in news mode, I grabbed my camera to try and capture the moment. Unfortunately, the rain was coming down too hard to be able to take pictures without ruining my phone or camera. I was able to take pictures and even a short motion picture of the inside collateral damage. The movie and pictures can be found on our favorite social utility outlet, Facebook.


Sure enough, I click on the news and poof --we have video of a man who had to be rescued from his car on Woodland Avenue. I have to say, living what I had to live through all day, I thought there would be much more video from the day's crazy storm. But, again, some folks did not see a single rain drop and those lucky others are still drying out!


No comments: