Monday, October 13, 2008

The 'art' of Joe and Lance

(Katie the Wonderdog artwork by Joe Wood)


I can not do justice in this entry to two co-workers who are leaving Channel 3.

But, I'd like to acknowledge them, thank them, and wish them well.
Luck and happiness overflowing to Joe Wood and Lance Deevers.

Two of THE BEST and absolutely most talented Graphic Artists, Art gurus, mister do-it-alls who I have ever met!

Talk about winning the 'Mr. Nice' award--both of them are over the top!


When you think of art, you think of drawings or pictures and the like. But in television, the Art Department does so much more. They do (or at least did) our graphics, special art which would air on tv across the board --news, sports, weather, and even specials such as race for the cure, baseball playoffs, or whatever poppped up....but then, they would design our station clothing (Lance designed my favorite t-shirt which is a gray tee with a cute peacock and it says wkyc-hd Cleveland). They would construct different sets for the plethora of shows we air, reconstruct the studios when we have a set change, decorate the sets at the holidays, do any painting around the station, design handouts and fliers which on-air personalities may distribute at personal appearances....the list is endless. I have just touched the tip of the iceburg.



I've known Lance the entire time he has worked here at Channel 3, which has been maybe 12 years. He always had a smile on his face, always willing to help you out if he could...never heard him say a bad thing about anyone. What an asset to have on your team. The art department is situated in the balcony above the newsroom. A real treat to look up and be able to wave or say a daily hello to Lance and the folks up there! On one occasion, Lance had to toss a tape down to me....I caught it with a little ballet move which he will not let me live down to this day!

(photo of picture by Jim Kegelmyer)

Then there is Joe Wood! I've known Joe longer. Joe has been at the station almost 30 years. A true genius. He's been given a wonderful gift from God. Joe would also do everything mentioned above and so much more. However, two of Joe's trademarks which I am saddened to see go are his 'going away' cards and court room drawings.

(photo of picture by Jim Kegelmyer)

Used to be whenever someone was retiring or leaving the station, they knew they would get a one-of-a-kind Joe Wood 'going away card!' Each card topped the last encompassing the true essence of the person depicted in the card. The irony of it all!


And Joe also would scurry off to court for huge Federal Court cases....I'm amazed and in awe at his court room renderings.

I will miss seeing them on a daily basis around the newsroom. I can only hope that we can keep in touch. I told Joe, if I have any big occasions coming up, I will request one of his famous cards!!


Good luck, much happiness and success in your new endeavors, and please know that you both are loved and thought of often!

No comments: