Friday, April 9, 2010

Weekly Feature: Hidden Gems




This week's Hidden Gem: The battle of the mustards


Growing up in Cleveland, being a life-long baseball fan, there were always only two mustards for me: Bertman Ball Park and Stadium Mustard.


Oh sure, there are dozens in the grocery store and being so close to Pittsburgh, the home of Heinz, expands the options.


We had two choices (but always had the 'yellow' one available for guests though I don't know why they'd want that one!!).


My Mother, God rest her soul, was the smartest woman in the world. She knew how to do anything and knew about everything. She imparted her tidbits on the battle of the mustards on all of us.


I'm not sure if I have a favorite because we always had both in the house. I did just notice that I currently have Bertman in my fridge (though I have both in the food pantry!!).


I have to be honest, I am not going to rehash the rich history of both or try to sell anyone on IF there is a better mustard.


I just wanted to write a fun entry being the start up of baseball season. My Cleveland Indians opened their season away in Chicago on April 5, 2010. They come home to Cleveland on Monday, April 12, 2010 for one of the most exciting days of my year--Opening Day!


I will tell you that 'The Original Bertman Ball Park Mustard' has been around longer and, to me at least, seems to be more family oriented. I love browsing their web site and feeling like I'm one of Joe's customers that he waited on time and time again.


Though 'The Authentic Stadium Mustard' has not been around as along, they do tout that they are 'out of this world' --LITERALLY! Apparently various astronauts have requested this mustard up in space.


Honestly, it's a win-win situation once again for the city of Cleveland. We have the two BEST mustards in the world (and apparently out of this world) right here in our own backyard! Just one more reason for me to love my hometown so.....


Let's face it folks, you can't go to the ballpark or any stadium or even have the family backyard BBQ picnic without indulging in a hotdog smothered in mustard. It's a rule!


Regardless of which mustard you choose, I certainly hope it's either Bertman Ball Park or Stadium Mustard. Pick up one of each, and you too, will see why they both are this week's Hidden Gems!

No comments: