Thursday, April 8, 2010

Being an assignment editor brings 'constant recall'

Do I eat, breathe, dream, and live work all the time?

Yes and no.

If I see a good story idea or news happening, heck yes.

I try to gather the info for a possible story idea or call in the 'breaking news' as it is happening.

And I am always looking!


But, that said, there has to be 'my time.' I have to take time off in order to revive, re-energize, and replenish.


Sometimes it is hard though. For example, I recently drove by Van Aken and Lee Road in Shaker Heights. Each time I drive this route I recall the Penny Chang case. 15-year-old Penny Chang was gunned down back on March 16, 1999 by her alleged stalker/former boyfriend, Scott Strothers. It became a MAJOR profile case for a number of reasons.

First, it happened feet away from the Shaker Heights Police Department --most of the officers heard the gunshots. Then, it brought light to the whole 'stalking' issue. Many Ohio Legislators joined forces to strengthen the Ohio Stalking Laws. And, in the sadness of losing this bright young girl, another trial occurred when the family sued the Clinic. One of their therapists had been treating Strothers in the days leading up to this tragedy. The Clinic won that round.

I remember hearing and seeing Penny's ambulance drive right by my house.

A normal stroll out on the east side brings back all of these memories.


Or heading back just a few years I recollect a double tragedy day every time I travel in Euclid, Ohio near the high school, the police station, and even along I-90.

You can't help to remember the death of Officer George Brentar seeing they have a street and plaza named after him.

October 10, 2007 will remain with me forever. That was the day of the SuccessTech Academy shooting right across from our station. We became a small part of the story as we could not readily get into work until speaking to police and allowing them to direct us in....and then we opened our station to officials so they could hold their briefings....and every news agency was parked in our front yard doing live shots for days.

But that's not the only awful occurrence of the day. That evening, a horrendous call came over the scanners that an officer had been in a serious accident in Euclid. Ultimately Officer Brentar's car erupted into flames and he died in the accident/fire.

I can't help but think back to that day every time I see the street named after this hero.


Even when I am sitting at home with my fuzzy slippers and hot tea trying to decompress and decide to channel surf, I can't hide from the news.

I'm fascinated by the show "Crime 360."

A episode which recently aired was shot in Cleveland and focused on the murder of Carlos Rodriguez, father of two. Once they started explaining where it was, what happened, I was sucked in to the program.

I remembered the crime as if it was yesterday. When they showed the suspect's mug shot, WOW! I remember the Cleveland Police emailing over the picture of Matthew Salazar once he was pegged a suspect and taken into custody.

I just find it so interesting every single step the officers take to tackle a case. And, as they continue to put together each piece of their puzzle, they 'throw us a bone' little by little.

On big cases, the officials will feed the new desk, the media, little nuggets as they become available and as it is proper to release them so as not to jeopardize their case.

Every day we'd get a new update --whether it be a weapon was found, more witnesses were being interviewed, the coroner determined the cause of death, or whatever.

In this instance, Detective Mike Smith and Detective Walley Everett were featured. Seeing them time and time again working stories and now seeing them on tv tickled me.

I'm also always intrigued by the full team of investigators, every step taken, how they pound the pavement, and the folks featured on tv that we actually speak with--Dr. Joseph Felo at the Coroner's Office was one of the contacts we used to speak with who was featured in this particular story.


Being connected to the television news business since the mid 80's brings lots of memories, a long rich history and can't help but trigger various memorable stories as I travel through each day.

No comments: