Friday, July 3, 2009

Yep, you can tell it's a holiday weekend


Holy Cow!


It's quite evident that it's a holiday weekend my friends!


I drive into work and all the prime parking spots are still available. We are lucky if there are ANY spots available.


I enter the newsroom, which has been renamed for the day 'ghost town.'


Yet, we still have to put on all of our regular live programming and web coverage--and live up to the task at hand!


As I drive into work, I'm getting text messages asking if I have to work today (of course, I did not answer them until I got into work).


I guess technically, today is a holiday since we did not get mail delivery. But, I never even gave it a second thought to ask for this day off. It's not the holiday really!! And, it's kinda nice working on a holiday which falls on a Friday! I can not explain it except to say REALLY laid back and mostly 'stress-free.'


Now, that's not to say we goofed off. In fact, we had to work even harder because there were so many missing employees and those jobs still had to be completed.


I ran the desk, answered phones, and did everything else I normally do but had all of the web stuff as well. Now, usually during my shift I do have a bunch of web responsibilities but today, it was my baby. And, I'm extremely proud of my performance with this venue! We kept it fresh, fresh, fresh and updated!



Even the tone of the police scanners is a bit more upbeat and people are friendlier.


I wish we could bottle this feeling, this attitude, this mindset and feel it all year long.


Thankfully, we did not have any major mishaps or emergencies involving fireworks, water rescues, or other holiday catastrophes.



I wish you and yours a safe, happy holiday surrounded by family and friends, fun and frivolity and a great feeling of pride and patriotism which is the true meaning behind this weekend!

No comments: