Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Michael Jackson Memorial



As a journalist, I could not turn away from the Michael Jackson Memorial Service.


As a fan, ditto.


And, honestly, if you watched the 'event,' the last thing you desire is a rehashing or play-by-play by moi.


If you are not interested in this topic, ditto.


But, sitting back, watching the day's events unfold, knowing how difficult it is sometimes getting a single live shot up for a newscast, I applaud the family, the venue, and all of the media outlets who worked together to broadcast this world-wide extravaganza.


The very beginning was a bit rough. It began late, but that was understandable as guests entered The Staples Center and took their seats.


Brian Williams and Company had to tap dance for just a few minutes trying to figure out which way was up and get a handle on the start of this production. However, after that initial start, it went off without a hitch.


The only way it could have been any better is if the King of Pop, Michael Jackson, had Executive Produced the service himself, always the perfectionist.


Though I was working, I had the tvs' tuned in all day to everything Michael Jackson as well as my Sirius Radio to and from the office.


And then when I arrived home, continued watching a rehash of the day's events until the wee hours of the next morning.


I tried to keep my 'journalist' hat on as I viewed the days events, but at times, it was difficult.


The opening hymn, 'Soon and Very Soon,' is a song we just sang all weekend at my church. A tremendous way to kick off the Celebration of MJ's life.


Every speaker, every songster, every performer struck a chord in some way and had such a personalized memory to share humanizing the "King of Pop."


An exquisite tribute which I would have made it through, almost did, up until the very end.


No one could have scripted what little Paris shared memorializing her father at the conclusion of Tuesday's event.


Paris Jackson: "Ever since I was born Daddy has been the best father you could imagine and I just want to say I love him so much."





2 comments:

Mike Golch said...

my only problem with the tribute is that it was way overboard for one.for a few other reasons as wellwhat is it with the media,gloryfieing a drug abuser,a pedifile.and how about the jerks that call them selves athletes useing drugs,causing accidents.all of which end up getting a slap on the wrist by the judicial system???
I kind of wonder if this will ever see the light of day on this blog.

Anonymous said...

He was still someone's dad - that sums it all up