Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Not that easy!!

It was not that easy!

You would think having 4 days off would be a real treat.

OK, it was a treat. Who am I kidding! A divine treat, especially since I went to a Tropical city to see one of my best friend's in the entire world, grab some rays, enjoy my Indians, and no responsibilities for 48 hours.

A dream. It was!

But the first 2 days were furlough days. The last 2 days normal days. And I was only out of town for 48 of those hours.


I must be a news hound because I wanted to pick up the phone at least 7 times Thursday and share story ideas and information with the station. Each time I even thought about it, the furlough rules and regulations fairy appeared with this scolding look on her face saying 'no can do.'

I received an email from a college buddy who has worked at Canton Timken for as long as I can remember. He said they made more cuts and he was one of them this time. Awful, just awful for my friend. However, my innate instinct was 'call the station.' No can do.

Then I went to the hairdresser to get my new doo for my trip. John Roberts still has quite the memorial for Staci DiJulius. When you walk in there is a constant slide show presentation and the station next to my hairdresser's has a message on the mirror, candles and fresh flowers. Everyone working there knew her and misses her immensely. Information which must stay with me a few more days.

One of the churches in my cluster will be closing within weeks.....a story that can keep, but nonetheless, a story that I thought about calling in Thursday. Wrong answer!

Chrysler is a ready made story in my own lap. I just bought a Chrysler. I am a perfect subject guinea pig for what will happen down the road to Chrysler owners. But more importantly, the first 2 dealerships I went to were on the closing list, did not make the cut.

We had a little breaking news in my neighborhood where they had to block off the roadway.....I had to drive on by without even investigating to see what it was......honestly, it did not seem like a big deal or I would have snooped a bit more just in case.

I had to steer clear of Twitter, Facebook (sharing all the Channel 3 promos, Metromix stories, Weather Warrior ideas, and pretty much EVERYTHING connected to wkyc), wkyc.com, the 7pm live web chat--now that was hard. I was still in town for that and so desperately wanted to hop on but could not. I could not write a blog entry Thursday or Friday or do any correspondence whatsoever wkyc related.


I have to admit folks, for someone getting handed 4 days off, it was not all it was cracked up to be the first 24 to 36 hours. It was downright hard! I really love this place and what I do apparently. It's amazing how many times in the course of the day I send off an email, a story idea, share information about Channel 3 on Facebook or Twitter regarding upcoming stories, comment on a web story at wkyc.com or just can't wait to get into work to offer up a bunch of story ideas in the editorial meetings.


I hope being on furlough helps the station in the long run as well as my personal longevity here....but it also made me see and opened my eyes to how much I think about Channel 3 throughout the course of the day and night. Being in the news business, doing what I do, is a 24/7 lifestyle. It is part of me, my life, and frankly, I love that attitude. It drives me to be the best at what I do, keeps each day interesting, and keeps me on the top of my game!


PS, now what's really not that easy is going through my nearly 700 email messages! Calgon, take me away!

No comments: