Wednesday, May 13, 2009

No work rule, serious business

In today's society, we've been hearing so much about and experiencing first hand the dreaded cut backs, layoffs, work stoppages, forced retirements, downsizing, and the business 'f' word --furlough.

Now, I have to admit, I just thought a 'furlough' meant no work and no pay.

In the midst of this craze, I've come to learn so much more.

Federal and State laws require that while someone is on a furlough, they follow the no work rule. This rule constitutes so much more than just not showing up for work. It really is serious business.

NO connection whatsoever to the workplace, work, or any co-workers.

Your company phones must be turned off or left unanswered.

Your company email is off limits during your furlough time.

Don't even toy with the idea of venturing into or near your workplace.

And that goes for talking to or seeing your fellow co-workers.

If possible, there must be an 'emergency contact' who can be called should something catastrophic occur.

If by chance someone is contacted by their workplace, the entire furlough must begin again and you get paid for the time already spent in furlough mode.


In the news business, a few other questions loom in the rafters.

What if I am walking along minding my own business and a building collapses? Or a plane crashes? Should I just ignore it? Well, we've been told, and I hope I have this straight, that if we DO see news happening, we have a few options. We can have whomever we are with call it in so that we have no contact with the situation. If there is no one else, I was told we can actually call in a breaking news story and then hang up. We can not keep calling in with updates. We can not take pictures and post to the web. We can not write the web story. We can not do an interview or phoner. We can not actually stay on scene to do interviews.

I hope I have this correct. We can make an initial 'news watcher' tip call and then wash our hands of the situation.


If I am off on my weekends, I'll tune into the news and see what's happening...and if I stumble across some great breaking news story or exclusive, I'll call it in. But I honestly have so much going on, I try not to obsess about the workplace.


If I am on vacation, same rule applies.


So, being on furlough, well, I see it as a completely healthy way to rejuvenate and renew the energy level so that when one gets back to work, they are on top of their game --their A Game!


See you Monday, folks!

No comments: